Author Topic: A Ghaznavid "Yamini" Dirham in name of Farrukh'zad (1053-59AD)  (Read 638 times)

Offline THCoins

• Honorary Member
In 1053AD, Ghaznavid ruler 'Abd al-Rashid was mudered in a rebellion led by the army general and usurper Toghrul. In the process the majority of the Ghaznavid princes, and possible pretenders to the throne, were murdered. The rule of Toghrul did not last long. Another army commander put one of the few surviving sons of Mas'ud of Ghazna on the throne. This was Farrukh'zad, who ruled relatively short, from 1053 to 1059 AD. Quite uncommon, he withdrew from power relatively peacefully and transferred power to his brother Ibrahim.

In the "Early Islamic Sultanates" section a few Bull Jitals were shown, issued under Farrukh'zad from Lahore mint.
Here i'd like to show a small size (18 mm, often called "Yamini" type) silver dirham issued under Farrukh'zad from the mint in the Ghaznavid capital Ghazna.

Obverse:                                   
Adl                                       عدل       
La illah illa                          لا إله إلا   
Allah wahadu                      الله وحدة   
la sherika lahu                   لا شريك له    
al-Qa’im bi amri ‘llah          القائم بأمرالله   

Where al-Qa’im was the current Abbasid caliph.

Reverse:
Billah                                        بالله   
Muhammad rasul Allah         محمد رسول الله
Abu Shuja                              أبو شجاع
Farrukh'zad                            فرخ زاد
Mu'id Amir                              مؤيد أمير
(right/left) al mu’minin  المؤ/ منين

Where "Abu Shuja" means "father of the brave". "Mu'id Amir al mu'minin" = "helper of the leader of the faithfull".

Likely a consequence of the short reign, only a handfull of different dirham types of Farrukh'zad are known. This type is not in SNAT, there are several on Zeno though.
A peculiarity of the coin is that it seems to have a cast flan. Maybe as a consequence of this, it has a bit odd, high weight of 4.55 gr.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2018, 02:11:02 PM by THCoins »

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
Re: A Ghaznavid "Yamini" Dirham in name of Farrukh'zad (1053-59AD)
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2018, 10:39:06 AM »
Travelling around in Central Asia gives you additional appreciation of coins. Little remains of the turmoiled medieval period, except coins such as these. I can imagine the Sultan and his advisors deliberating on whether the word "mu'id" should be added. I can imagine the die sinker sitting opposite a mosque front to copy the kalimah for use on the coin, adding his calligraphic skills to fit the text on a round object.

Then, I can imagine how hard it is to find a coin of a six years reign. Think Edward VII as compared to Victoria and add two millenniums. With the transcribed text, I can read your coin, which is a special pleasure. TFP.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline capnbirdseye

• Vic
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2018, 04:21:47 PM »
Travelling around in Central Asia gives you additional appreciation of coins. Little remains of the turmoiled medieval period, except coins such as these. I can imagine the Sultan and his advisors deliberating on whether the word "mu'id" should be added. I can imagine the die sinker sitting opposite a mosque front to copy the kalimah for use on the coin, adding his calligraphic skills to fit the text on a round object.
Peter

Coins are a reliable & accurate source of history more than any building,  this is far more so with Islamic coins which more often than not show the monarchs full name & titles, the date and regnal year together with the actual place the coin was struck, quite literally a contemporary document in metal.

Coins record the names & portraits of many rulers otherwise unknown to history from documents or buildings so we are indeed lucky to be able to examine these pieces of history in the comfort of our own home.
Vic

Offline THCoins

• Honorary Member
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2018, 12:53:35 PM »
Thanks Peter and Vic for your comments.
Beatifull picture of the facade Peter ! I recently saw a British documentary which showed the people working on the restoration of the tiled wall. Mostly still a traditional family affair, unchanged for centuries. I agree with you we should cherish all these physical witnesses of our past. Where coins may make a crucial contribution still today.

Anthony