News:

Sign up for the monthly zoom events by sending a PM with your email address to Hitesh

Main Menu

Wafer thin Qarakhanid fals with slanted lettering

Started by Pellinore, April 05, 2018, 01:31:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pellinore

This attractive coin is a large fals of the Qarakhanid dynasty, that maybe was not very glorious in world history and not very virtuous either, with all its internecine wars and brother fighting. Quite a wonder that they managed to keep sitting (more or less) in the saddle for more than 200 years. But as for numismatics, I'm full of admiration. Especially those first 50 years (980-1030, following the start of exceptional calligraphy in Samanidic times), what a production and what calligraphic quality!

This coin was minted in Khujanda (Khojand) in Uzbekistan, the northern appendix of that country, which is the province of Sughd. The reverse has (in my typography-loving eyes) a striking feature in the centre: slanted lettering, whereas the other lettering is well cared for, but less striking. It is very thin, more than usual. Most fulus of this era weigh 2.5-3.5 gr.

AE fals Qarakhanids, 404/ 1013-4. Khujanda. Sana al-Dawla Muhammad b. Ali + Muhammad. 26 mm, 1.51 gr. Kochnev #371. Album 3308.

-- Paul

THCoins

Nice calligraphy i agree ! I like the basic Samanid style of mediaum size dirhams and fulus. For me the specific attraction of the Qarakhanid issues is that they add a certain artistic roughness to the somewhat plain Samanid prototypical design. Drawback is the readability sometimes though.
The weight of this one is quite remarkable. There are some contemporary compareably razor blade thin Kwarezmshah issues i think. But the why ?

Anthony

Figleaf

Maybe it's just the nice picture, but it looks like this coin is less filed than usual.

In my view, the consistent filing is conclusive evidence that the coins went by weight, rather than by tally. Not only because you don't file if small weight differences are unimportant, but also, you can file the face, rather than the edge, if a vague representation of the design is enough. If the coin went by weight, it would be unimportant what the diameter of the coin was.

In other words, to produce a half unit, you could use the die for the whole unit on a planchet half as thick as a whole unit. You may think that's not handy for small purchases, but if your coin has to be weighed anyhow, it doesn't matter much.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Pellinore

Dear Figleaf, I don't think filing has anything to do with adjusting the weight. This coin, weighing much less than ordinary fulus, was filed, as you can see clearly. Other coins were filed more, but how much of the weight is that, 0.2 gr.? You never see coins that were filed away totally. Or coppers that were broken in half - it would have been easy... No, there was something about the filing, but we don't have any understanding of the Why.
I don't think copper coins were weighed. Copper just had not enough value in itself.
-- Paul