Author Topic: Required: Spengler's Article on Ghorid Nomenclature?  (Read 317 times)

Offline shiblius

Required: Spengler's Article on Ghorid Nomenclature?
« on: April 03, 2018, 03:16:42 AM »
How can I get the following article, any library references etc.,:

Spengler, W. F., Numismatic evidence of ghorid personal nomenclature and royal titulature

Offline THCoins

• Honorary Member
Re: Required: Spengler's Article on Ghorid Nomenclature?
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2018, 08:59:56 AM »
I don't know the article, but sounds interesting. A quick search only showed:

Spengler, William E 1984. "Some New Numismatic Evidence Regarding Royal Nomenclature and Titulature in the Ghurid Period." In Numismatics and History, Indian Institute of Research in Numismatic Studies, Inaugural Seminar 8-10 January 1984, pp. 106-16. Maharashtra: P. O. Anjaneri

The title you name is referenced as a "Mimeo". In previous times this term was used in academic research for unpublished articles, shared through microfilm. So this may be hard to lay your hands on now.

Offline Pellinore

• Honorary Member
    • Some numismatic books for sale on our website
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2018, 09:03:07 AM »
Apparently this is a mimeo'd article, not published in a book. (I thought the mimeo technique is called stenciling in some European parts of the world). Google found a reference to it in a book by André Wink, Al-Hind. The Slavic Kings and the Islamic conquest, 11th-13th centuries, p. 102 footnote (referencing a text about elephants). Wink is a professor in Madison, Wisconsin, and an email address is easily found on the internet. You could give it a try.

By the way, the parts of Wink's book that are readable on Google Books are very instructive for the history of Central Asia starting from about 200 BC.
-- Paul

Offline shiblius

« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2018, 05:33:10 PM »
Thanks, for the input. I will email Prof. Wink and see if he can point me in the right direction.