Author Topic: Mozambique 2006 circulation coin set  (Read 3038 times)

Galapagos

Mozambique 2006 circulation coin set
« on: September 23, 2009, 03:02:49 AM »
As a fan of thematic issues, I'm quite fond of this set. I just received this reply from the Royal Mint about its designer:-

"I am writing in reply to your Freedom of Information request of 25 August.

The Mozambique reverses, of which you provided images, were designed by Michael Guilfoyle and modelled by members of the Royal Mint Engraving Department."

If you Google "Michael Guilfoyle" + "coins", you will find plenty of his other designs (mainly NCLT). This is the first time to my knowledge that this former Royal Mint engraver, now presumably freelance, has designed a circulation set - though of course the opportunity to do that comes up relatively rarely these days.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2013, 06:16:26 PM by <k> »

Galapagos

Re: Mozambique 2006 circulation coin set
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2009, 10:44:28 PM »
I don't know a lot about Michael Guilfoyle as yet, but here is a photo of him in Ireland, celebrating the issue of an Irish 10 and 20 euro NCLT set that he designed. Is he Irish? Possibly - I don't know for sure.

"On Monday 21st April 2008,Minister of State Noel Ahern, T.D., launched the 2008 10 Euro Silver Proof Coin and the 2008 20 Euro Gold Proof coin at the Erin Room, Dublin Castle. Both of these coins celebrate European Cultural Heritage. The design of these coins features Skellig Michael, the UNESCO heritage Site located off the coast of Kerry.

Left: Minister Noel Ahern T.D.,
Middle: John Hurley,Governor of the Central Bank
Right: Michael Guilfoyle,Designer of the Coin Set"

An image of Guilfoyle's Mozambique designs appears at bottom.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2009, 10:47:54 PM by Ice Torch »

Offline <k>

• Honorary Member
Re: Mozambique 2006 circulation coin set
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2010, 04:27:00 PM »
I have recently been corresponding with designer Mike Guilfoyle by email, and he has been kind enough to answer some of my questions about his work on the Mozambique 2006 circulation set.

Q. I wonder how you felt when you realised that your designs were circulating throughout Mozambique? It's in the nature of things that few people will get to design even a single standard circulation coin, never mind an entire set.

A. I am very proud indeed, particularly as I had been unaware that the designs were actually used. I have decided that I will try to obtain examples of all of my coin designs, and my quest will start in Berlin next year.

Q. Given that you were being asked to design a nation's new coinage, were you given any special briefing? Did you meet any of the Mozambicans to discuss their requirements, or was that left to the Royal Mint Advisory Committee?

A. I didn't meet any Mozambique representatives. That would be the responsibility of the 'country manager'. He would have taken the brief, noting any specific requirements or designs requests. I was briefed by the Chief Engraver.

Q. Were you shown the previous Mozambican set of the 1990s? (See the image of the 1990s set below).

A. I wasn't but I always do my own research, and I refer back to Krause 'World Coins'.

Q. Some of your designs are of the same themes as in prior sets. Were you given any special instructions about handling these?

A. The brief specified what subjects were to be featured, although as far as I can recall, not specifically linked to particular denominations. I prepared a number of alternative arrangements of designs and denominations.

Q. Of all the designs, the "woman student reading", which originated in the 1980s set, was carried down, in almost the same form, to the 1990s set and your own. Again, were you given any special instructions with regard to this design? Were you more or less requested to copy it as nearly as possible, and if so, did you consciously make any minor modifications?  (See the image of the 1980s set below).

A. Of all of the designs, this was a straight reworking of an older design. Actually, this denomination wasn't part of the original brief. It was briefed separately a couple of years later (2005), as was the 10 Meticais.

Q. It is often the case in such situations that more than one artist is contracted to create designs, and then the RMAC and the client choose among them. Were you aware of, or told of, any other artist submitting designs?

A. No, as far as I am aware, I was the only designer working on this project. I may be wrong though.

I finished by thanking Mike for answering all my questions and congratulating him on producing such a marvellous set of circulation designs.

Visit the website of The Royal Mint Museum.

See: The Royal Mint Museum.