Author Topic: Major find in rummage tray  (Read 490 times)

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
Major find in rummage tray
« on: April 01, 2018, 12:11:31 AM »
Flanders, double groat (Braspenning) 1409, Gent mint, off-metal strike.

Tournament helmet with helmet sign heraldic lily above arms of Burgundy (left) and Flanders (right) IOHanneS:DVX:BVRGvdiae:&:COMes:FLANDRIE - John duke of Burgundy and count of Flanders, Deschamps de Pas plate X number 26, De Mey -, Vh G2651 (var). The Johannes of this beauty is John the fearless

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline Arminius

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Honorary Member
  • Varus - may i show you our forest?
    • Arminius-Numismatics
Re: Major find in rummage tray
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2018, 12:45:11 AM »
I suppose not struck 1409 - a modern token issue or restrike?

Offline malj1

• Honorary Member
  • "illegitimi non carborundum"
    • Mals Machine Tokens
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2018, 01:08:33 AM »
I too found a nice coin in a junk tray for 50cents.

its available....

Malcolm
Have a look at  my tokens and my banknotes.

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2018, 07:05:24 AM »
Must have been the same dealer, Mal. This is Vh G281, De Witte 358. I hear your version, with small flowers between the legs of the cross, is somewhat less scarce now. Perhaps a small lot has been found? This is always the risk you are running with medieval coins. Meanwhile, we are lucky that others didn't recognise these fine finds.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2018, 07:50:31 PM »
I don't think I fooled anyone. Good for you! This is one of a series of 5 medalets used in the 1970's for an advertising campaign for peanuts. Van Nelle is better known for its coffee and tea products. I didn't even know they did peanuts also. I guess it's frustrating for the marketeers of a food company not to sell anything containing an overload of fat or sugar ;)

Here is the second of three in the series: a snaphaanschelling 1506-1555. Snaphaan is an early firing mechanism for a musket. Not sure what the connection with the coin is. Schelling has the same root as shilling. It denotes a coin of 6 stuivers (12 groot) The design is based on Delmonte 516, Van der Chijs 18.38. The legend is KA°ROL°DVX°GELR°IVL°CO°ZV or Charles (V) duke of Gelre (and) Jülich count of Zutphen. In the exergue is GEL

Peter
« Last Edit: April 02, 2018, 08:01:24 PM by Figleaf »

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2018, 08:00:02 PM »
Here is number three, a coin of the independent Netherlands, though you wouldn't know it by looking at the design, an imperial German eagle with local breast shield. This is Delmonte 1071, Verkade 89.1, KM12. Arendsdaalder of 60 groot (30 stuivers) 1602-1619, Middelburg mint. Arend is an eagle and daalder has the same root as Thaler in German, dollar in English. The legend is SI.DEVS.NOBISCVM.QVIS.CONtra.NOS - if god is with us, who is against us.

I also attached the common reverse of these "off-metal strikes" (bronze-clad iron).

Peter