Author Topic: Aurangzeb. Rupee. Mint Ahmedabad. AH 1091 RY 23 - A flower bud on the reverse.  (Read 363 times)

Offline asm

• Honorary Member
  • Ahmedabad, India
Coins issued during the reign of Aurangzeb, especially from Ahmedabad mint do not show much variation over time (except in the first few years of his reign).

However, mid-way thorugh his reign, all of a sudden, a flower bud makes an appearance between the 'JULU' & 'SEEN' on the reverse. I have not yet been able to understand the significance of this ornament on the coin. If some one has an idea, please help.

Amit

I have two coins of this date combination (bought at different times) and both of them show this symbol............
"It Is Better To Light A Candle Than To Curse The Darkness"

Offline asm

• Honorary Member
  • Ahmedabad, India
Both coins seem minted from different dies..............

Amit

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
Unhindered by any real knowledge...
  • The flower bud is different from the flowers already on the coin.
  • The symbol returns on a different die.
  • The symbol is politically and religiously neutral.
Conclusion: the flower bud was put there on purpose and with a purpose.

Speculation: At this time, India was well aware of Western coins. Its coins mentioned the mint by its full name, but there was no indication of the mint master or the assayer, like on Spanish colonial coins, where they were usually a letter. On Dutch coins, there was no sign for the assayer, but mint masters (directors of the mint) quite often used a sign, often an animal, plant or heraldic device. European letters would not have been religiously or politically neutral, though they could have been replaced with Arabic letters. Heraldic devices would not have appealed in India and animals would not have been religiously neutral but plants would have been OK.

The objective of a mint master mark is to be able to trace the person responsible for a coin, important in case the coin is deficient. The organisation of minting was different from India in Spain and the Netherlands. However, such control would appeal to any military dictator (which the Mughals were, in essence), the more so because all the coin looked alike, irrespective of who had the final responsibility for them.

While a similar case can be made for the assayer, the functions of assayer and mint master may have been united in one person in India. In Central Asia, that was the case. Alternatively, the mint master may have had the final responsibility for the actions of the assayer.

Funnily, the mint staff may not have fully understood the function of the symbol, dutifully introducing the symbol when told to do so, but continuing its use when mint masters changed.

This speculation leads me to the working hypothesis that the flower bud was meant to be a mark to indicate the person responsible for the mint and its products. Since I have no access to evidence, I will leave it to others to (dis)prove the hypothesis.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline Coinsforever

• Honorary Member
 Ah1091 was significant year for Aurangzeb .
In Deccan Bijapur he was recognised and coins without epithet to honour Mughal' S existence in Deccan.
My fair guess something related to it  but not sure how far located Ahmedabad to be linked with Aurangzeb's Deccan role.

Jan lingen sir has written a very well illustrated article "Ah1091 rupees of Bijapur " in Jons.

Cheers  ;D
Every experience, good or bad, is a priceless collector's item.

http://knowledge-numismatics.blogspot.in/

Offline asm

• Honorary Member
  • Ahmedabad, India
Thanks Peter and Ajay for the details. I will revert on Peters thoughts a little later. However, in the meanwhile, the reason why I raked up the issue is this coin of Jan. Same date combination. No Flower bud there, the symbols on the coin in the Seen of both Manus and Julus are very different.