Author Topic: Can you find images of these collector designs?  (Read 1215 times)

Online <k>

• Honorary Member
Can you find images of these collector designs?
« on: March 17, 2018, 01:11:46 PM »
In 1991 Niue issued two collector coins to commemorate the centenary of the invention of basketball by James Naismith. The 5 dollar coin, shown below, depicted two early female basketball players. The 10 dollar coin featured James Naismith, but I cannot find an image of this design. Can you help? These coins were produced by the Royal Mint (UK).

Online <k>

• Honorary Member
Re: Can you find images of these collector designs?
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2018, 01:15:37 PM »
In 1997 Jamaica issued a collector coin, as part of its occasional "Endangered Wildlife" series, which featured a manatee (Trichechus manatus). I cannot find an image of this design. Can you help? The coin was produced by the Royal Mint (UK) and apparently was only issued in sets - which sets, I do not know.

Offline chrisild

• Honorary Member
  • NW · DE · EU
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2018, 02:26:18 PM »
As for the basketball piece "from" Niue, that has an X. :)  That is, the edition of the Schön catalog that I have (2014) lists both the $5 and the $10 coin. But while the former has mintage and value info, the latter does not come with any information about the mintage. And an X instead of a value means "keine Prägung bekannt, nur Stempel vorhanden (allenfalls Abschläge, Abgüsse oder Abdrücke in anderen Materialien)" - so apparently there are dies but no coins, or only copies in other materials ...

Christian

Online <k>

• Honorary Member
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2018, 02:42:05 PM »
Thank you! I've just noticed the lower case 'x' in my 2018/19 edition.

With a little help from Google Translate:

No strike known, only a die (punch?) in existence. At most off-metal strikes, casts or impressions in other materials.

Does that sound right?

« Last Edit: March 17, 2018, 04:33:28 PM by <k> »

Offline chrisild

• Honorary Member
  • NW · DE · EU
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2018, 04:31:05 PM »
Pretty much, yes. In a numismatic context, "Abschlag" could be translated as "off metal strike", I think. But that is a general explanation, as you will know, on one of the first pages of the catalog. So which of these options applies here, I don't know ...

Christian

Online <k>

• Honorary Member
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2018, 04:33:08 PM »
Thanks, I do read the first pages, but I missed that detail.

Offline eurocoin

• Indexer
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2018, 04:36:52 PM »
The Royal Mint provided a copy of the James Naismith design, shown here first. The design was at the time supplied to the Royal Mint by MDM Deutsche Münze. A plaster mold of it was made by Marcel Canioni.

« Last Edit: September 09, 2018, 05:07:38 PM by eurocoin »

Online <k>

• Honorary Member
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2018, 04:40:18 PM »
Thank you very much, eurocoin. You are a most resourceful numismatist. It never occurred to me that the design sketches would still be in existence. It is a competent enough design, though Mr Naismith's personal style has long gone out of fashion. But who knows, maybe that sort of moustache will be sported on the streets in years to come - one just can't tell, these days.  :-X