Author Topic: GST on Numismatic coins imported by post to India  (Read 2211 times)

Offline velind

Re: GST on Numismatic coins imported by post to India
« Reply #15 on: October 27, 2018, 08:28:02 AM »
The people manning the customs desk in Mumbai Foreign Post Office should get an eye check-up.

On the Declaration form, it was clearly marked as GIFT and Declared value was 4.  The customs department reads it as 24...... ???
 and assume it the currency as USD $. And I end up paying customs duty of Rs.938  :'(

Should I rake up an issue on this or like a "good indian", forgive and forget ?

Offline Bimat

• आदित्य
  • Global Moderator
  • Honorary Member
  • Mumbai, India.
GST on Numismatic coins imported by post to India
« Reply #16 on: October 27, 2018, 08:34:51 AM »
This is beyond ridiculous! While you can always take it up with the authorities, chances are very high that you will end up in spending more than ₹938 (plus the time)... ::)

By the way, I refused to pay custom duty on one of the letter (as it was in the tune of 120), so the letter was supposed to be returned to the sender. The sender never received it back... >:( :(

Aditya
It is our choices...that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities. -J. K. Rowling.

Offline Pabitra

• Honorary Member
« Reply #17 on: October 27, 2018, 12:37:31 PM »
No, you should not keep silent.
I assume that you have paid the customs duty and have got the items in hand.
You have full document indicating the cost being 4.
You should write ordinary letter to concerned joint commisioner, Chief Commissioner with copies to Chairman, Central Board of Excise and Custom, Minister, Department of Public Grievances as well as office of the Prime Minister.
You should do calculation with 4 and seek refund with interest at 14 percent and keep your fingers crossed. You might get it if you are reasonably good in your arguments.

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #18 on: October 27, 2018, 01:30:47 PM »
I will join the chorus as an international observer ;) This is not about the money. It is about accountability. Officials who take decisions must take the responsibility for their decisions. Not doing so is a form of dictatorship. Doing so is a small step for the development of the country. Your case is not of great weight by itself, but you will acquire experience, so you will object more easily in other cases and you can help others do the same thing. If many people start taking officials to task about wrong or unlawful decisions, the country will profit.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline Abhay

• Honorary Member
« Reply #19 on: October 28, 2018, 03:16:51 AM »
You are lucky people that at least you got the coins after paying the Customs duty. In my case, many of the coins or medals never arrived from the post office. The Tracking shows the result upto Foreign Post office at Delhi/Mumbai and then to national post office hub. But after that, no tracking results.

So, it is better to get your coins shipped to some of your relative or friend to USA or UK, and then get them to India on their next visit. I have been able to get many big parcels to India this way without having to pay any custom duty or taxes.

http://www.worldofcoins.eu/forum/index.php/topic,6598.msg42343.html#msg42343

Abhay
INVESTING IN YESTERDAY

Offline Bimat

• आदित्य
  • Global Moderator
  • Honorary Member
  • Mumbai, India.
« Reply #20 on: October 28, 2018, 06:52:56 AM »
You are lucky people that at least you got the coins after paying the Customs duty. In my case, many of the coins or medals never arrived from the post office. The Tracking shows the result upto Foreign Post office at Delhi/Mumbai and then to national post office hub. But after that, no tracking results.

My experience is that as long as your letter is in custom department's possession, your coins are safe. It has happened with me that my letter was with them for 3 months (!!!) and nobody touched it. The thefts usually occur after the letter has left the customs.

Aditya
« Last Edit: October 28, 2018, 12:41:59 PM by Bimat »
It is our choices...that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities. -J. K. Rowling.

Offline Rabi_R

« Reply #21 on: October 28, 2018, 08:01:58 AM »
I think the OP has not understood the matter.

In the first photograph, we see the parcel tied with a jute rope. This means it was, in all probability, opened at customs office. Customs has assessed the content and have concluded that it is worth 24 USD. We see the date of assessment as 22/10/18 and the signature of assessing officer is visible. We also see customs have concluded this parcel is not a gift.

It is to be remembered whatever be the declared value of a parcel, customs is under no obligation to accept that. Also, if a parcel marked as gift has been sent by a foreign citizen ( perhaps not even of Indian origin) and whom customs found out to be a numismatics dealer, may not be considered gift. Which has happened in this case.

Offline Pabitra

• Honorary Member
« Reply #22 on: October 28, 2018, 08:45:06 AM »
The customs receipt says "Declared value" as USD 24.
British never comes in to picture.
The Custom's Appraiser may not be even knowing that there exists a currency called British Pound.
The selection of custom's officials are not done  for their knowledge or merit but other considerations.

This need to be indicated in the complaint that how British Pound got converted to USD?

Incidentally, I was told that numismatics material for personal use by registered numismatists is exempt from customs duty for value up to Rs. 3500/-.

Offline Rabi_R

« Reply #23 on: October 28, 2018, 09:21:05 AM »
Writing complaint letters won't achieve anything. If an importer is aggrieved by the customs valuation, he may make a first appeal to the Commissioner(Appeal), second appeal to Customs Tribunal and third appeal to the Supreme Court.

Not too much should be read into the "Declared Value". Being some one with huge experience of how grass root level governance functions in this country, i understand it is just inappropriate filling up of the form. The fact of the matter is, the content has been valued at 24 USD.

Offline Bimat

• आदित्य
  • Global Moderator
  • Honorary Member
  • Mumbai, India.
« Reply #24 on: October 28, 2018, 12:41:42 PM »
Writing complaint letters won't achieve anything. If an importer is aggrieved by the customs valuation, he may make a first appeal to the Commissioner(Appeal), second appeal to Customs Tribunal and third appeal to the Supreme Court.

Not too much should be read into the "Declared Value". Being some one with huge experience of how grass root level governance functions in this country, i understand it is just inappropriate filling up of the form. The fact of the matter is, the content has been valued at 24 USD.

Have to agree with this...whenever you are buying coins from a dealer, always ask him to add invoice to the letter, and make sure that the declared value is close to the invoiced value. Otherwise it's up to the officer to decide correct value of the coins. Even if the declared value is right (in absence of invoice), the officer may calculate it differently, as he/she does not have expertise in the field.

Most of European dealers (in fact all) will always add invoice to the letter (it may be compulsory for them due to taxation issues etc.).

Aditya

Offline Pabitra

• Honorary Member
« Reply #25 on: October 28, 2018, 01:17:44 PM »

That is not right.
I assume that since declared value is in Pounds, the country of origin is UK.
If I ask my friend to send me 4 pieces of 1 Pound coins, the declared value will be 4 since he collects it from the bank/ post office and they are Unc pieces.
Now the customs appraiser is having a bad day and is being nasty to every one.
He picks up latest SCWC and sees $ 6 as the price of each coin in MS63 condition.
Is he right in doing so?

50 paisa in India is minted only by Kolkata mint and issued at face value by RBI, Kolkata ( when they do issue). In Mumbai, it costs 7 Rupees to get a piece.

The bureaucracy in India still follows the logic they they can do whatever they wish.

Country of origin and place of valuation are very important factors.

In India, when the police catches any drugs, it will give the press release where the price is taken as of the price on the streets of New York, multiplied by dollar conversion rate.
The whole idea is to get higher reward money for catching the drug peddler.

May be similar logic for valuing higher than normal price without taxing the limited brainpower but exposing their ignorance.