Author Topic: Jahangir, Dehli Mint, Rupee, AH 1020/6 RY, Month Di, KM# 145.6  (Read 361 times)

Offline Saikat

• Meritorious Member
    • My facebook page on coins
Jahangir, Dehli Mint, Silver Rupee, AH 1020/6 RY, Month Di,
 Obv: Nur ud din  Jahangir Shah Akbar shah,
 Rev: 6 Sanah 1020 Zarb Dehli, Ilahi Di Mah
11.5g, 18.58mm, KM# 145.6
Fairly small flan but beautifully struck and preserved without any test marks.
At the six o'clock of the obverse, the decorations made up a Garuda symbol of the ancient Gupta kingdom.

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
Re: Jahangir, Dehli Mint, Rupee, AH 1020/6 RY, Month Di, KM# 145.6
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2018, 06:50:40 AM »
Nice strike, Saikat. I like how the patina highlights the elegance of the design. Thanks for pointing out the Garuda symbol. Why would Jahangir have used it, I wonder? Could it have been a mint master sign?

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline abhinumis

• Honorary Member
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2018, 06:11:54 AM »
VERY NICE... But I'd be careful with assumption that the symbol is Garuda symbol..Various designs and elements are used in Mughal coins and the designs appear to be similiar to the Garuda symbol by pure conjecture and not put on flan knowingly.. The case is similiar to the 'Khanda' symbol on Jahangir Lahore rupee which was hotly debated earlier only to the conclusion that it was perhaps a open lotus which was thought to be a khanda by Sikh followers
Dr.Abhishek

Offline Saikat

• Meritorious Member
    • My facebook page on coins
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2018, 04:20:22 PM »
Agree, this would be a coincidence of design. I would like to see other coins of same date is possible. Zeno reference coins are of later date and dosen't  have this symbol.
Saikat