Author Topic: Countermark on 1 euro cent  (Read 177 times)

Offline eurocoin

• Technical posts member
  • Honorary Member
Countermark on 1 euro cent
« on: December 21, 2019, 02:37:57 PM »
For the first time I came across a coin with something stamped on it, while coin roll hunting. Nothing majorly interesting though. I am not sure what the stamp is, possibly a figure 7. The coin is a 1 euro cent of Belgium dated 2012.

« Last Edit: December 21, 2019, 03:02:50 PM by eurocoin »

Offline brandm24

• BR & M
  • Honorary Member
Re: Countermark on 1 euro cent
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2019, 09:19:58 PM »
Almost looks like a Hebrew symbol, eurocoin, but probably not. That't the only thing I can think of.

Bruce
Always Faithful

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2019, 07:02:54 AM »
Been looking at it for some time now but got not much to say. Yes, 7 is a Hebrew symbol of fullness, a prime number, possibly more. So? Why advertise it? What would you achieve with it? How many people would understand the message? Could it be accidental?

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline eurocoin

• Technical posts member
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2019, 07:57:22 AM »
I do not think it is damage or something like that. Although the image is not clear, the thing is very well defined and exactly 3 mm. There certainly may not be a meaning behind it though. It could also be a letter L.

Offline brandm24

• BR & M
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2019, 11:34:21 AM »
Been looking at it for some time now but got not much to say. Yes, 7 is a Hebrew symbol of fullness, a prime number, possibly more. So? Why advertise it? What would you achieve with it? How many people would understand the message? Could it be accidental?

Peter
People randomly stamp coins for no particular reason or the reason is clear to them but not us. Maybe someone other than the maker understands it.

Years ago when counterstamping was common die cutters would stamp coins for test purposes. There's no reason to do that with modern punches though. I have a few old test pieces in my collection. I'll see if I can find them and post an image.

Bruce
Always Faithful

Offline brandm24

• BR & M
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2019, 11:45:11 AM »
Here's one coin...a mid 1800s US Large Cent...that was used to test punches. Note the variety of styles and sizes. I tried researching this hoping to identify the die sinker, but found nothing as I suspected. A nicely crafted piece though.

Bruce
Always Faithful