Author Topic: 3.57  (Read 95 times)

Online Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« on: February 20, 2021, 04:56:24 PM »
Here's a fine puzzle.

The host is gone. All I can tell you is that it came in a lot of Swedish tokens, it's bronze or copper, 25.0 mm and 3.14 gram (could it have been 3.57 gram before the hole?). By letting it reflect light, I can see a very small Kawaii animal head with a funny hat on the centre reverse, but that could be a coincidence, rather than what remains of the previous iteration of this piece of metal.

The best I can think of for the other side is neither good, nor helpful. Dividing the diameter by 7 you get 3.57? How is that significant? The drakkar rings no bells - well, maybe monastery bells to warn the monks to go into hiding. Puzzling.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Online brandm24

• BR & M
  • Honorary Member
Re: 3.57
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2021, 05:46:12 PM »
I see what looks like a Viking ship or something similar underneath the 3.57. Other than that, I got nothing.

Bruce
Always Faithful

Offline FosseWay

• Honorary Member
  • Göteborg, Sverige
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2021, 06:37:55 PM »
This is a wire gauge from Nordiska Metall AB in Västerås. There are no prizes whatsoever for guessing the gauge of the hole  ;D

There are numerous variants - I have four different 3,57 gauges, and there are other measurements as well. What the specific significance of wire with a diameter of 3.57 mm is in a country that's been fully metric since 1855 I don't know. The others I've seen are also of odd fractions of millimetres.

Online Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2021, 09:26:07 PM »
The answer is in this table. A diameter of 3.57 mm corresponds to a cross section area of 10 square mm* (pretty decimal) and a value of 52 amp. Ten square mm is a standard wire size in decimalised countries, according to the IEC 60228 standard.

Peter

* In engineering applications, it is often convenient to describe a wire in terms of its cross-section area, rather than its diameter, because the cross section is directly proportional to its strength and weight, and inversely proportional to its resistance. The cross-section area is also related to the maximum current a wire can safely carry.
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline FosseWay

• Honorary Member
  • Göteborg, Sverige
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2021, 10:08:33 PM »
Makes perfect sense  :)