Author Topic: Munich: Do not leave your luggage unattended  (Read 418 times)

Offline chrisild

• Honorary Member
  • NW DE EU
Munich: Do not leave your luggage unattended
« on: March 05, 2018, 01:14:27 PM »
Last weekend was the Numismata coin show in Munich. And it seems that one collector really wanted to get rid of a bunch of coins. ;)

A man from Hamburg had, on Friday night, taken a hand truck with coins worth about 30,000 with him, on a train from Hamburg to Munich. For some reason he left the train during the ride, but did not make it back in time. So this thing (the German term is "Sackkarre") with all these coins traveled to Munich by itself. Fortunately an attentive and honest train attendant spotted it, and brought the thing, along with the two bags on it, to the police at the Munich main station.

The lucky guy got his goodies back in time, before the Numismata ended. Why he had left the train, and whether he sold the pieces in Munich, is not known ...
http://www.spiegel.de/panorama/hamburg-sammler-laesst-muenzen-alleine-im-zug-nach-muenchen-reisen-a-1196399.html
(in German)

Edit - Here is the police press release. The man was a 60 year old coin dealer from Hamburg; he apparently left the train at some stop en route. Then he wanted to get his coins out of the train, but the ICE had already left the station.
https://www.presseportal.de/blaulicht/pm/64017/3882342

Why? No idea. Maybe he is a smoker. :)

Christian
« Last Edit: March 05, 2018, 10:31:50 PM by chrisild »

Online Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
Re: Munich: Do not leave your luggage unattended
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2018, 01:33:59 PM »
Done that ages ago, but not with coins. The problem was work overload, another meeting coming up and no coffee available on the train. The result was being late for the meeting and a bureaucratic steeple chase for my papers. It took me the best of a fortnight to recover them as they went from the station in The Hague (no way to contact them by phone), to the station in Utrecht, to the lost and found dept, which took a week to register them. I was probably only a few meters away from my papers on at least two occasions but there was no way to get them outside the regular two week procedure.

Even so, that's pretty good compared to forgetting something on a foreign airfield. The item was found as I was in the air, lost again on its way to the Netherlands and in the end I was told to buy a new copy and charge the airline.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.