Author Topic: Jersey 10 pence 1977  (Read 1178 times)

Offline Alan71

• Honorary Member
  • Derby, UK
Re: Jersey 10 pence 1977
« Reply #15 on: April 16, 2018, 06:21:16 PM »
That is interesting!  So all six circulating denominations dated 1977 were produced, and we finally have a reason for the 1980 coins still depicting “New Pence”.

Offline FosseWay

• Honorary Member
  • Göteborg, Sverige
« Reply #16 on: April 17, 2018, 01:10:10 PM »
Agreed, very interesting, and good detective work!

So far, AFAIK we know that a 50p and a 10p have been found in the wild. Are there any reports of other denominations?

A question though: isn't it normal for the Royal Mint to put TRIAL or similar on test pieces that aren't intended for circulation? Either the whole design uses the words TRIAL PIECE or similar, as with the trial 12-sided £1 coins, or just a punched TRIAL on an otherwise genuine-looking design, as with the pieces created in the mid-80s when they were deciding how to proceed with reducing the size of the 5p and 10p. It seems odd to produce coins that in every respect look like the real thing and then expect them not to "go walkies"...

Offline Alan71

• Honorary Member
  • Derby, UK
« Reply #17 on: April 17, 2018, 03:02:59 PM »
Aren’t trial pieces more for new coins though?  The Jersey ones were simply a minor change to the design, not the coins themselves.  Therefore they are legal tender but not likely to circulate as they were produced in such small numbers.  I think the 1977 50p Mark Fitzgerald found was stuck between two washing machines in a laundrette there, so that one clearly circulated.

Online eurocoin

• Indexer
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #18 on: April 17, 2018, 03:24:07 PM »
Actually we can be 100% sure that your piece is genuine because counterfeiters are not (yet) able to make such high quality copies of coins.

Igor, I am interested to know, how did you obtain the coin?

Offline FosseWay

• Honorary Member
  • Göteborg, Sverige
« Reply #19 on: April 17, 2018, 03:44:36 PM »
Aren’t trial pieces more for new coins though?  The Jersey ones were simply a minor change to the design, not the coins themselves.  Therefore they are legal tender but not likely to circulate as they were produced in such small numbers.  I think the 1977 50p Mark Fitzgerald found was stuck between two washing machines in a laundrette there, so that one clearly circulated.

But the information eurocoin posted about needing to change the coinage laws in Jersey raises the possibility that they weren't legal tender without the relevant changes, which were delayed. Otherwise the 1980 issue would presumably have used the 1977/81 design. But I take the point that the 1977 coins are much closer in general to the real thing than the various trials I mentioned.

Offline Grin

« Reply #20 on: April 17, 2018, 05:48:46 PM »
But the information eurocoin posted about needing to change the coinage laws in Jersey raises the possibility that they weren't legal tender without the relevant changes, which were delayed. Otherwise the 1980 issue would presumably have used the 1977/81 design. But I take the point that the 1977 coins are much closer in general to the real thing than the various trials I mentioned.

Eurocoin, a coin state of Jersey 10 pence 1977, bought by my friend in Kiev in the market 4 years ago. In the past year he has acquired a coin value Jersey 10 pence 1980 year and then drew attention on differences between them. Now in Ukraine and Russia are delivered for sale from Europe, mainly from Germany, coins of all countries of the world, which are out of use. To sell coins by bags from 1 to 10 kilograms.
My friend asked me to help him with this coin, which was done with your help. Thank you very much.

With greetings from Russia, Igor.

Offline <k>

• Honorary Member