login

Author Topic: New Zealand annual coins  (Read 1773 times)

Offline Harald

• Monetary History & Numismatic Linguistics
New Zealand annual coins
« on: September 20, 2009, 02:23:32 PM »
The 10c "Tuatera" of 2007 is apparently issued in copper-steel as well.
does that mean that is it supposed to circulate or is even circulating?

cheers
--
Harald
http://www.liganda.ch (monetary history & numismatic linguistics)

Austrokiwi

Re: New Zealand annual coins
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2009, 05:45:08 PM »
It was never meant to circulate I know one collector broke one ( perhaps more) out of the resin blocks they were issued in and actually spent them.......but apart form those coins none were issued for circulation. A number of NZ collectors have repeatedly requested that circulating commemoratives be issued. However the reserve Bank pass's the buck to their licensee NZ post who then "returns the favour".

Galapagos

« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2009, 06:48:37 PM »
I know one collector broke one ( perhaps more) out of the resin blocks they were issued in

I bought two - one to keep, and one to break out. But I never did manage to get all the resin off that coin - it was stuck fast.

translateltd

« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2009, 10:14:41 PM »
The 10c "Tuatera" of 2007 is apparently issued in copper-steel as well.
does that mean that is it supposed to circulate or is even circulating?

I don't quite get the "as well" - there was only one version made, to my knowledge, in the new copper-steel "sandwich" used for regular circulating pieces since 2006. As others have noted, it was only made for "collectors", though a small number will have found their way into circulation thanks to the efforts of those who were prepared to scrape all the gooey resin stuff off.  Add the cost of that labour to the $9.90 issue price and you make quite a loss :-)

(A little background story to this is that the authorities didn't offer dealers a "wholesale price" for these, so they had to pay full retail, just like the public, so as a result it didn't get much support from the usual resellers.)

BC Numismatics

New Zealand annual coins - 2007 'Tuatara' 10c. medal-coin.
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2009, 09:47:59 AM »
Harald,
  This was issued only a medal-coin.

The main reason why it failed to become popular,is because it was offered at NZ$9.90 - nearly 1,000% above the face value!

Talk about an absolute rip-off!

Aidan.

Offline UK Decimal +

• Honorary Member
  • Nil carborundum
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2009, 12:58:37 PM »
One thing that I noticed here is that they are sealed in a way that removal would be likely to damage the coin.   I'm not happy about this form of packaging and think that more attention should be drawn to it.

Bill.
Ilford, Essex, near London, England.

People look for problems and complain.   Engineers find solutions but people still complain.

BC Numismatics

New Zealand annual coins - 2007 'Tuatara' 10c. medal-coin.
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2009, 02:29:17 PM »
One thing that I noticed here is that they are sealed in a way that removal would be likely to damage the coin.   I'm not happy about this form of packaging and think that more attention should be drawn to it.

Bill.

Bill,
  The last 1 Marka from Finland was also done in this type of packaging as well.

I don't know what the Finnish Mint in Helsinki were charging for that one.

I bet you that it wasn't nearly 1,000% above the face value like the New Zealand 2007 'Tuatara' 10c. medal-coin was.

Aidan.

Offline Harald

• Monetary History & Numismatic Linguistics
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2009, 06:50:05 PM »
I don't quite get the "as well" - there was only one version made, to my knowledge, in the new copper-steel "sandwich" used for regular circulating pieces since 2006. As others have noted, it was only made for "collectors", though a small number will have found their way into circulation thanks to the efforts of those who were prepared to scrape all the gooey resin stuff off.  Add the cost of that labour to the $9.90 issue price and you make quite a loss :-)

(A little background story to this is that the authorities didn't offer dealers a "wholesale price" for these, so they had to pay full retail, just like the public, so as a result it didn't get much support from the usual resellers.)

the "as well" meant that thought having seen ads for coin in silver.  :-[
http://www.liganda.ch (monetary history & numismatic linguistics)

Austrokiwi

« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2009, 08:02:04 PM »
the "as well" meant that thought having seen ads for coin in silver.  :-[

I was also a little confused by the "As well"............... now I understand the confusion: there was a larger silver coin produced with the tuatara on it.........that coin had a face value of $5.00, and was non circulating.

translateltd

« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2009, 08:56:36 PM »
That makes sense.  The $5 "Tuatara" was the annual crown-sized "theme coin" for the 2007 collector sets, issued in Cu-Ni and Silver for the Unc and Proof sets respectively.  The small copper-sandwich 10c had a very similar (identical??) design but was a one-off, I believe issued to raise funds for the Karori Wildlife Sanctuary in Wellington.

Offline Alan71

• Derby, UK
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2017, 03:35:39 AM »
I was interested in getting this coin as it's still available.  The issue price of $9.90 puts me off, as does the resin issue mentioned in this thread.

https://coins.nzpost.co.nz/2007/new-zealand-10c-tuatara-brilliant-uncirculated-coin