Author Topic: Tooled forgeries from Pakistan  (Read 7047 times)

Offline PeaceBD

• Honorary Member
Tooled forgeries from Pakistan
« Reply #15 on: March 01, 2018, 01:37:36 AM »
Philoxenos Drachm Fake
« Last Edit: March 24, 2018, 02:05:41 PM by Figleaf »

Offline PeaceBD

• Honorary Member
Menander Drachm Fakes

Offline PeaceBD

• Honorary Member
Another

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
If you can help me out here guys when mentioning tooled coins
Does it mean

It is a Original .... coin modified to enhance it.
 faded or worn  parts etched out and resin or putty mentioned above added to correct legends or parts of a coin.

If coin is original and tooled further CNG etc should mention this when listing.

You got it right about tooling. Third party graders and good dealers should refuse tooled coins. It says a lot that third party graders do not recognise the fakes and tooled coins. They are unable to live up to the immodest expectations they have created themselves. I am afraid that even in this large and well-versed group, we occasionally let a fake slip by or call a genuine coin a fake.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline BACTRIANUMIS

• bactrianumis.com
One more very suspicious item sold at an Auction recently... :-[

Offline BACTRIANUMIS

• bactrianumis.com
As far as I can see from this photo, majority of items are fakes, with same production method used - tooling / engraving on patty + artificial toning + applying a sort of dusty "patina". Again, I strongly recommend to all colleagues to stay away from any coppers from Pakistan!

P.S: Maybe it would be good to create a fix topic thread, named something like "Tooled forgeries from Pakistan"? This production method is much more sophisticated and dangerous than simple casting (or striking) of copies..and this problem is really overwhelming

Offline BACTRIANUMIS

• bactrianumis.com
Whoever produces them, it must be one individual or the same group, as stylistically these items are quite similar - all are somewhat cartoonish looking..

BTW, here is the "King" of such fakes on VCOINS: INDUS VALLEY COINS

Offline THCoins

• Honorary Member
Makes me really sad to see these ! Spoils a lot of the pleasure collectors enjoyed from these in the past.
Regarding Indus Valley; i did notice their coins looked a bit "odd". Always assumed they just produced their pictures with a low-quality flatbed scanner.

Offline BACTRIANUMIS

• bactrianumis.com
..they just produced their pictures with a low-quality flatbed scanner.

I think it's also the case. I'm not sure if he does it deliberately, but it just makes identifying a fake more difficult...no wonder the number of fakes this individual already sold is just stunning  :o :o :o

Offline BACTRIANUMIS

• bactrianumis.com
A couple more fakes from CNG:

367, Lot: 292

330, Lot: 151

CNG 87, Lot: 737

Offline THCoins

• Honorary Member
Agree, these look suspicious. Strange contrast between the bumpy surfaces and the sharp lettering.

Offline Desibot

The cng lot are they confirmed by Bopearachchi
As his names in the detail?

Offline BACTRIANUMIS

• bactrianumis.com
I'm sure this is what would happen if one slightly cuts the legend letters on those "Bopearachchi confirmed" CNG items:

But nobody will do it to a "coin" bought for 1000$++, obviously. ;)
« Last Edit: March 25, 2018, 11:13:01 AM by vaxtankava »

Offline BACTRIANUMIS

• bactrianumis.com
BTW, I think this current CNG item is tooled as well, as some letters’ shape and structure doesn’t feet into the rest of the legend….I have a feeling it was a fairly common Apollodotus II coin "refurbished" to be Strato II, since it is more scares:

417, Lot: 342

Offline BACTRIANUMIS

• bactrianumis.com
Re: Tooled forgeries from Pakistan
« Reply #29 on: March 28, 2018, 06:46:41 PM »
Another highly likely Pakistani fake from an Auction: