Author Topic: Fake 1862 Mohur ?  (Read 236 times)

Offline iindica

Fake 1862 Mohur ?
« on: November 16, 2018, 04:51:44 AM »
Posted today on eBay by (what seems like a) new seller: https://www.ebay.com/sch/shsa-946/m.html?_trksid=p3692

and there are a few more Gold coins.

Corresponding NGC entry: https://www.ngccoin.com/certlookup/2659996-001/63/

Thoughts?

Offline Rabi_R

Re: Fake 1862 Mohur ?
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2018, 06:27:50 AM »
It is meaningless to comment by seeing a photo of a coin inside a slab, but i have checked the ebay link and my opinion is, the base price is ridiculous. What is the current price of 11.66 grams of gold? To start with, if we agree the coin is fake, the estimate is 10% of metal price. The seller doesn't know what he is selling.

Offline zwiggy

« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2018, 06:59:53 PM »
Itís the same coin, the seller pics have a blur that hide (but not completely) the marks on the coin while NGCís picture has the lighting that accentuate the marks. But they are in the same place.

Just that buying a 4 figure coin from an international seller with a rating of 0 doesnít seem like a very good choice. Probably a hacked account since you find a sale like this every two months or so... they have already relisted a previously sold $8300 coin.

Offline iindica

« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2018, 12:50:01 AM »
Itís the same coin, the seller pics have a blur that hide (but not completely) the marks on the coin while NGCís picture has the lighting that accentuate the marks. But they are in the same place.

Yes. The coins look same. I am also intrigued by the NGC labels. It could be because of the lighting but compare the bottom part of the label on the obverse side. Note that eBay one doesn't show repeated 'NGC' within the strip.