Medieval Spain, Ferdinand V and Isabella, AR ¼ real, struck in Cuenca,

Started by capnbirdseye, February 25, 2018, 01:18:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

capnbirdseye

Rather crude, with a Lion & the other side has castle towers,  I'm not sure of the metal, maybe billon,   3g
Vic

andyg

I bought one of these in Madrid - a Phillip II 2 Cuartos.
always willing to trade modern UK coins for modern coins from elsewhere....

capnbirdseye

Quote from: andyg on February 25, 2018, 02:17:24 PM
I bought one of these in Madrid - a Phillip II 2 Cuartos.

Thanks Andy,   I got this in a mixed lot, I'm posting a couple more later as one or two will need an i.d
Vic

Figleaf

Andyg saved me a lot of time, as I was misled by how you had positioned the lion. It is in fact climbing, as on the Scottish arms.

To the left of the castle is a C and to the right a patriarchal cross (looks like a top-barred A with a cross on top). This permits me to identify the coin as a (clumsily clipped) ¼ real ND (1469-1504) struck in Cuenca, Cayón 2457.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

capnbirdseye

Thank you Peter, I had thought the shape of the coin was the flan splitting when struck but now you mention clipping it looks more likely, I'm still not quite sure what the metal is
Vic

Figleaf

Cayón says it's silver. Early reales were good silver.

BTW, that would be Ferdinand V and Isabella I (the catholic kings) are a bit earlier than Philip II...

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.