Author Topic: My first coins.  (Read 832 times)

Offline Phill Strange

• facebook
My first coins.
« on: February 19, 2018, 04:40:29 PM »
Hi there :)

So, I was looking through my large GB pre.1971 coin collection & thinking back to the first coins I ever bought which where four half crowns from 1901, 1911, 1948 & 1957 - I was 16 years old.

I got them from an old dusty (& now sadly gone) antique shop in Belfast that quickly became my favourite hangout for several years & spent a lot of money there.

I remember having a warm fuzzy feeling when I fist got them & was so pleased :D

The first coins I was ever given for free was from my late Gran & where a few sixpences, threepence & penny's etc...

What where your first bought coins & how did they make you feel? :)

Offline Pellinore

• Honorary Member
    • Some numismatic books for sale on our website
Re: My first coins.
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2018, 04:47:14 PM »
Together with my neighbor friend, who was the same age as I, ten, we received a number of silver coins from his grandfather, who had worked in Germany about 1920. My first was a big 5 mark of Kaiser Wilhelm II, 1904. It set me off at speed and with a ten-year-old’s hobby intensity. I felt mighty pleased, still do.
— Paul

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2018, 06:05:11 PM »
I am 58 years and 51 weeks away from getting my first coin, a British West Africa halfpenny George VI. Got it from a teacher as a birthday present. My father grabbed the opportunity and added some zinc Dutch coins from the second world war. I got a handful of silver Swiss coins from Otto Frank, Anne's father and the only survivor of the Frank family. I was hooked.

Dad got me more Dutch coins and introduced me to low-end-of-the-market dealers: Hennequin (he disappeared), Mevius (retired to the South of France, his son is continuing the business) Jan Smit (talking about retiring last time I saw him) and the anonymous market stall dealers at Waterlooplein in Amsterdam. Schulman (died, his multi-generation business was ruined by one son, sold by the other) was beyond my means.

I can't remember which coin I bought first out of my own funds. It may have been a Victoria young head shilling from Mevius or some nice 1953 UK coins from a broken up proof set at Waterlooplein. My father wanted me to collect Dutch coins, but I was set on British Commonwealth coins.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline capnbirdseye

• Vic
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2018, 06:20:00 PM »
Although I had a tin of foreign coins given to me by various uncles the very first coins I actually purchased were Roman,  it was 1960 and I was about to leave school , there was an antique shop on the corner of Livery street Birmingham near Snow hill station, in one window was a  selection of low priced Roman coins & I spent my pocket money over the next few months including from my first few months of working.
I then discovered a nearby coin shop & got interested in English hammered & then Indian coins which is where my interest has remained
Vic

Offline Pellinore

• Honorary Member
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2018, 06:31:15 PM »
Sorry, I overlooked the word 'bought'. I started buying coins after losing interest in buying Dinky Toys, but I don't remember the first coins I bought. However, I remember the first Roman coin very vividly: an ugly As of Vespasian, that cost 10 guilders (I was twelve, it was a ton of money for me). It enchanted me and took me into devouring history books about the Roman Empire and learning all the names of the emperors by heart, including their regnal years (you may still try me).
-- Paul

Offline FosseWay

• Honorary Member
  • Göteborg, Sverige
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2018, 09:41:48 PM »
The first coins I remember setting aside were small change (halfpennies, pennies and twopences) plus a few examples of the still-circulating shllings and florins. Then for my 8th birthday my grandfather gave me a box of random but mostly quite old mixed coins. The highlights of this were a cartwheel twopence in OK condition (along with some pennies that were only identifiable by the raised rim), a 2/3 gulden from Hanover (1713) and an enormous Ottoman copper 40 para. The latter resulted in my first contact with the Plant book on reading Arabic coins, which I got out of the village library. There were also a number of lower grade German States coins plus a few 20th century pieces mostly reflecting where he'd been (lived in South Africa, holidayed in France).

The Hanover coin is pictured.

Offline FosseWay

• Honorary Member
  • Göteborg, Sverige
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2018, 09:43:39 PM »
Sorry, I also missed the word "bought". In that case it was this Jubilee shilling, which I bought for £2.50 in 1987.

Offline Kopper Ken

« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2018, 11:02:04 PM »
My oldest brother got drafted in '64 (Vietnam) and ran out the next day and joined the navy.  He was posted to an aircraft carrier stationed in the Mediterranean.  Got coins up my wahzoo from all the countries along their ports of call.  From Turkey to Ireland and everywhere in between. ;D

KK

Offline mrbadexample

• Meritorious Member
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2018, 05:33:20 PM »
I couldn't tell you what I first bought. My interest was sparked after digging up a 1954 half crown in about 1982 after getting a metal detector for Christmas. My great uncle Albert took me to a local coin shop and bought me a few things - the ubiquitous 1970 proof set with the purple box, a restrike 1780 thaler that he referred to as the "most beautiful coin in the world" and a few other bits and pieces. I still have them all.

Offline Pellinore

• Honorary Member
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2018, 08:24:10 PM »
I couldn't tell you what I first bought. My interest was sparked after digging up a 1954 half crown in about 1982 after getting a metal detector for Christmas. My great uncle Albert took me to a local coin shop and bought me a few things - the ubiquitous 1970 proof set with the purple box, a restrike 1780 thaler that he referred to as the "most beautiful coin in the world" and a few other bits and pieces. I still have them all.

Great stories all! My dear British aunt gave me some silver coins like that half crown, all UNC. I sold them for a song long ago, still see them in my mind's (twelve years old) eye. Though I took different numismatic roads since, British coins like this one are drawing me almost irresistibly, like sugar.

-- Paul
« Last Edit: March 11, 2018, 09:58:24 AM by Pellinore »