Author Topic: Ephesian, looks AE but brassy; help with specific cataloging ID?  (Read 276 times)

Offline jkk

Ephesian, looks AE but brassy; help with specific cataloging ID?
« on: February 26, 2018, 06:20:14 PM »
I hope the attachments are readable. I can't seem to upload photos here.

I recently won this coin in our club raffle and, like most ancients, suspected overmuch haste in the identification. The measurements turned out to be off, so that was worrying. However, they were right that it's Ephesian, with the bee on obverse, stag recumbent on reverse. The grooving is very marring, but the outlines can still be seen.

Ionian, Ephesos, perhaps AE 12. 11.9mm, 1.22g. Anyone able to get more specific as to denomination and catalog ID? It's not in my Sear.
Jonathan

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
Re: Ephesian, looks AE but brassy; help with specific cataloging ID?
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2018, 02:06:23 PM »
If it is an AE12, three possibilities, depending on what's in front of the stag:

Magistrate Peristratos. 350-340 BC. E-Φ to left and right of bee / ΠΕΡΙΣΤΡΑΤΟΣ, stag recumbent left, head right, astragalos above. Pixodarus note 32, 11.

Magistrate Boiotos. E-Φ to left and right of bee / ΒΟΙΩΤΟΣ, Stag recumbent left, head right, astragalos above. Berlin, Pixodarus note 34, 3.

Magistrate Ekatokles, 305-295 BC. E-Φ, bee / EKATOKΛHΣ, stag recumbent left, head right, astragalos to right. SNG Cop 248; Head Chronology, p. 38, class c, 4.

I think I see some remnants of ΠΕΡΙΣΤΡΑΤΟΣ (bottom of letters to left)

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline jkk

« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2018, 04:45:09 PM »
Thanks, Peter. I had not been able to make out any of the magistrate's name of the three Wildwinds options, so this helps move me forward. In fact, I still cannot. Can you tell me which ones you might see the bottoms of, and where on the clock you might see them?
Jonathan

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2018, 04:53:00 PM »
It is speculative, but the Rho is clear and no other name fits it.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline jkk

« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2018, 05:00:44 PM »
On reviewing it, I concur. That may be as positive an ID diagnostic as is feasible with a coin in that condition. Thank you!
Jonathan