Author Topic: An electrum coin from Kolophon  (Read 245 times)

Offline Matteo

An electrum coin from Kolophon
« on: February 14, 2018, 09:18:56 AM »
A few weeks ago I would have started a discussion with the title "Does electrum coins of Colophon exist?". I know that there are electrum coins that some scholars attribuite to Colophon, but they don't show the typical obverse of Colophon (Apollo's head).

Now, I've seen this coin from the next Kunker's auction (number 304, lot 491):

IONIA. KOLOPHON. El-1/24 Stater, 550/500 v. Chr.; 0,64 g. Archaischer Apollokopf l.//Incusum. SNG Kayhan -; Weidauer -.
Von größter Seltenheit. Sehr schön
Aus der Sammlung eines Geschichtsfreundes.

What do you think about it? Do you know other electrum coins from Colophon?

Matte :)
« Last Edit: February 16, 2018, 10:13:39 AM by Matteo »

Offline THCoins

• Honorary Member
Re: An electrum coin from Kolophon
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2018, 06:43:56 PM »
To be honest, i could not even make out Apollo's head from the photo. Maybe because of the small size and difficulty to photograph gold.
Regarding your question: i guess this is one of those subjects of which i did not even know that i knew nothing about this. So no real answer from me unfortunately. Counter question; do you have grounds to suspect that there should be no electrum coins of Kolophon, or the opposite, why should they exist ?

Offline Matteo

Re: An electrum coin from Colophon
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2018, 10:13:13 AM »

Dear THCoins,

thanks for your answer. I would say it is an head of Apollo, but it is not impossible that I'm wrong.

do you have grounds to suspect that there should be no electrum coins of Kolophon, or the opposite, why should they exist ?

I thought they should exist and this coin would be a proof. The reason why I think this is because many Ionian cities with an abundant silver coins production have minted also electrum coins before. For this reason Colophon it would be an exception...

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
Re: An electrum coin from Kolophon
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2018, 12:30:21 PM »
Here's an attempt to guide the eye. It's a portrait of a male with a Pinocchio tendency. One hopes the hair isn't orange :)

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.