Author Topic: Yet another akbar falus of Gujarat fabric  (Read 405 times)

Offline Saikat

• Meritorious Member
    • My facebook page on coins
Yet another akbar falus of Gujarat fabric
« on: February 11, 2018, 01:52:53 PM »
Hi,
This another of my recent acquisition. For lack of better terminology, I am calling it Falus.
I do not think it is from Delwara as I can not find the mint name.
Weight: 8.02 gm
The follwing is what I think written
Obv: Kalima (?)
Rev: Allahu Akbar Jalalahu (Jallah)
funny how two distinctly different legend of the official mughal mint is shown in this coin.
I am really interested for any classification of the coin.
Thanks,
Saikat

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
Re: Yet another akbar falus of Gujarat fabric
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2018, 08:09:26 PM »
Nicely preserved coin, Saikat. Are you suggesting this is a mule?

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline Saikat

• Meritorious Member
    • My facebook page on coins
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2018, 06:19:39 AM »
Peter,
Frankly, I do not know. I do not have enough knowledge in provincial copper coinage of Akbar. But what I can say is this might be during the transition  between Kalima and Jalala inscription. May be other seniors can have further information.
Thanks,
Saikat

Offline asm

• Honorary Member
  • Ahmedabad, India
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2018, 08:34:55 AM »
Frankly, I do not know. I do not have enough knowledge in provincial copper coinage of Akbar. But what I can say is this might be during the transition  between Kalima and Jalala inscription. May be other seniors can have further information.
These coins apparently do not have any connection to the transition of the coinage from Kalima to Ilahi which happened around Ilahi 30 or AH 990.

This type of coinage is generally encountered around the Rajkot Junagadh belt and there is a distinct possibilty that these coins were minted in that area (No Junagadh coins post the Gujarat sultanate era till the coins of Shah Jahan are known, though it was a productive mint earlier). All these coins were issued to the local Gujarat standard and there exists a distinct possibility that these were issued under the authority of the Mughals to the Gujarat weight standards since the Koris and other local coinage was prevalent in the area and it would have been fairly difficult to change the weight standard all of a sudden. This weight standard seems to have continued well in to the reign of Jahangir when gradually these might have been withdrawn and the Mughal standard coins introduced. (to support this theory, we have the Navanagar coins, Junagadh Coins Kutch Coins as well as the issues of Mulher........... which had almost the same weight standard. Another important fact is that the smaller denomination of Mughal copper coins (5.5 g and 10.5 g) even of North Indian mints like Narnaul are abundantly found in Saurashtra area.

Some of the other coins generally found around Ahmedabad and Eastern Gujarat can be attributed to issues when Muzzaffar Shah - having escaped from Agra came to Gujarat and then led a rebellion against Akbar.

The above is the beginning of research in this direction - with friends including Abhishek.

Amit
"It Is Better To Light A Candle Than To Curse The Darkness"

Offline capnbirdseye

• Vic
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2018, 10:50:22 AM »
I'll add one of mine to the mix,  again an Akbar trambiyo  struck in Gujarat
Vic