Author Topic: New discovery!!!!!! Delhi mint- Si wa haft.  (Read 333 times)

Offline abhinumis

• Honorary Member
New discovery!!!!!! Delhi mint- Si wa haft.
« on: February 04, 2018, 05:49:37 PM »
Hi all,
Posting my feb 2018 discovery on WOC first!
The phenomenon of Ilahi year written in words is seen in Delhi mint.. In persian, 30= Si , 5 = panj, 6= shash whereas 7 = Haft.. So essentially 35 would be expressed as 'Si wa panj' and similarly 36 = Si wa shash and 37 = Si wa haft. So far Dams(20gms approx) and damris (2.5gms approx) of Ilahi Si wa panj and Ilahi Si wa shash are known..
However today I have encountered a damri weighing 2.46gms with legend Ilahi Si wa haft (Ilahi 37).. This is a new coin unknown till date.
I think 'Si wa haft' unlike the 'Si wa panj' and 'Si wa shash'  will be represented on damris only as I have seen all 12 months of Ilahi 37.
Enjoy and cheers!
« Last Edit: February 04, 2018, 07:56:44 PM by abhinumis »
Dr.Abhishek

Offline Saikat

• Meritorious Member
    • My facebook page on coins
Re: New discovery!!!!!! Delhi mint- Si wa haft.
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2018, 09:39:48 AM »
That's exciting. It is puzzling why, instead of dam, which have larger surface area, one writes more on a small damri. but still a very interesting find.
Congratulations.
Saikat

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2018, 04:08:09 PM »
I think 'Si wa haft' unlike the 'Si wa panj' and 'Si wa shash'  will be represented on damris only as I have seen all 12 months of Ilahi 37.

Until I read that sentence, I thought I understood. Dates 35 and 36 are normally encountered for this type and now you have a discovery date 37. That's great fun and worthy of sincere congratulations. However, that last sentence threw me. Have you seen at least 12 damris with 'Si wa haft' with different months?

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline abhinumis

• Honorary Member
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2018, 05:38:13 PM »
Hi Peter,
What I meant was, that, Si wa panj and Si wa Shash are seen in both dams and damris because the dams and damris of those 2 dates do not have persian months on them.. However, the dams of ilahi 37 are known in all 12 months, so the si wa haft damri just discovered seems to occur only in damris and not in dams. Hope I'm able to make sense.
Dr.Abhishek

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2018, 12:18:02 AM »
Thanks. Yes, now I understand.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.