Author Topic: 2018 NYINC Jan 11-14 (I went there...bad decision...except for books purchased)  (Read 507 times)

Offline Kopper Ken

I was there on Friday (1/12), figuring that there would be less people than on the weekend days. I was wrong. Picked up some reading material (books) at some great prices (thanks Coincraft & Spinks). I live in NYC so we're really only talking subway fare as an expense, but it was a crappy bus/train ride. Th show was soooooooooo crowded it was very difficult to get a seat, and even if you did, the narrowness of the aisles was a limiting factor. Possibly a fire hazard due to the clearance, or lack thereof. It was terrible for a person either way, sitting or walking. If you were seated you got smacked in the head with arms or bags. If you were walking in the aisles you had to go in-between the chairs and wait for the traffic going the other way to stop. Watch out for the guys with the pull behind roller bags!

The aisles at one end (the one with Allen Berman's table) were adequate in width. This pattern was not continued as you travelled in the other direction. I wanted to spend money, but I couldn't. Perhaps I should have went later, I was there about 11:30am.  I left at about 12:30, couldn't wait to get the heck out of there, it was still crowded. The Coincraft booth was outside the main bourse area so I was able to comfortably shop and purchased some books there. The Spinks table had books also that I was able to sit and purchase (I guess there wasn't much traffic for books) and then a I went to a dealer at the corner of an aisle (more room) and I purchased a bag of twenty of the new British Pound coins.

I'm thinking of going back tomorrow (didn't), but the bourse is shorter by 4 hours. I think I'll just head out to my local coin bourse on Sunday (did) and spend my money there, and be very comfortable in doing it. My wife was very happy when I got home and told her my tale of woe. I'll show her and spend money Sunday. >:D

The guy who runs the NYINC has to realize that there is a customer (i.e. coin collector) comfortability factor involved in visiting shows and the optimum is not achieved by trying to squeeze as many dealers into a specific sized space. Get more space or have less dealers.

Enjoy and have fun collecting.

KK

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
Thanks for the report, Ken. What does NYINC stand for? Been to crowded shows. With my bad back it's even worse. My solution: if his offer looks interesting, ask the dealer for a name card and contact him after the show. You incur mailing cost, but save on discomfort.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline terryzman

I also attended the show.  It stands for the New York International Numismatic Convention.  I was already in town for a family event, so I stayed and attended the auctions and the bourse.  Saturday was indeed very crowded. Friday and Sunday somewhat less so.  This was my first time attending the bourse, but most shoppers and dealers were moderately positive about the location.  The show moved from it's recent home at the Waldorf Astoria due to renovations and the Grand Hyatt will be the new home for NYINC going forward.  I suspect from what I heard among the organizers that the size of the room was somewhat more constrained that they had estimated.  Maybe they will decrease the number of dealers next year.   The Waldorf had no large ballroom and so the dealers were placed in several smallish ballroom/meeting rooms in the hotel and this led to some negative feelings over time due to desires for better placement.   

I spent the $ for professional preview on Thursday and this was well worth it.   I did a lot of my browsing and general shopping that day in the less intense surroundings with some supplemental purchases later in the show.  The auctions were, as always, top notch.  The NYINC is easily the #1 show for world/ancient material in the US, especially with CICF and the San Francisco historical bourse both now defunct.  The new Chicago Coin Expo (begun last year) shows promise and will likely be a strong #2.  I am curious if more WOC members attended.

- Terry

Offline chrisild

• Honorary Member
  • NW DE EU
Saw an article by Ursula Kampmann who visited NYINC ...
http://www.coinsweekly.com/en/News/The-46th-New-York-International-at-its-new-location/4?&id=5124
... and also the FUN show (Tampa, FL). What I found interesting (have not been to the NYINC yet) is that it focuses on "ancient" and what Americans call "world" - thus no US coins.

Christian

Offline terryzman

Yes, Chris.  Very much so.  There were a couple of dealers with primarily U.S. Material on the floor. Ancient and Non-US Material is the order of the day for NYINC.  This is less true at the Chicago show but still primarily holds.  Every other general show in the country that I know of is dominated by US Coins.  Large shows (such as the ANA shows, Whitman's Baltimore Shows, the Long Beach show, and bigger regional shows like: The Texas Numismatics Association near Dallas, F.U.N in Orlando, and Central States in the Chicago Area) will always have a good number of dedicated dealers in Ancients and "World" Coins.  There are also boutique shows like the US Mexican Numismatic Association in Scottsdale, AZ which focus on particular specialities. 

I am curious as to how prevalent shows are in other areas ?  I would say that if I chose to attend them all, I would be able to attend 20+ "local" coin shows from where I live (based on a 3-4 hour drive or less).