Libya 40 Para #186.1 AH1223 [20]

Started by andyg, January 22, 2018, 12:02:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

andyg

Libya, definately, AH1223 but I've never pinned down which type it is -
9.7g 34mm
always willing to trade modern UK coins for modern coins from elsewhere....

Figleaf

It is dated 1223/12, I think. In my innocence, I would take it for KM 150.2. KM doesn't list regnal year 12, but there are 10 and 20 para regnal year 12 that are the same type as regnal year 13, so why not a 40 para regnal year 12 that is the same type as regnal year 13?

Your coin is a bit lightish for a 40 (it should have been 14 gram), but KM notes: "There is considerable weight variation within each denomination, in some cases up to 20% higher or lower than the theoretical norm". Yours is 30% lighter. However, a 20 para should be 7 grams and that would make it almost 40% too heavy, so I still prefer to see it as a 40 para coin. See Numista for a picture of KM 150.1.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

andyg

yes, this one is baffling -  I'd come to the conclusion that this is so different it must be either something else - or somewhere Krause is wrong.

Andrey5

May I ask why the regnal year is identified as 12 ? I only see 2. It might be KM#141 then.
Collecting African coins and tokens, selling more than 4500 world coins from www.avscoins.com

Figleaf

My eyes may deceive me on the date, but I can't make the script below the toughra fit the picture of KM 141 and I don't see the ornaments left and right of the toughra either ...

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

andyg

I was just posting the same - also it's only 9.7g compared to 12g.
Any ideas welcome though :)

Andrey5

The ornaments might change from year to year within one type. The date though is important. We were looking at an earlier type, but should have gone further. The regnal year on the coin is 20 with the dot for zero barely visible. I found similar coins in Stephen Album's auction 23. He identified similar coins as KM-186.1.
Collecting African coins and tokens, selling more than 4500 world coins from www.avscoins.com

Figleaf

Good solution, Andrey. I can't even find a vague dot, but the evidence you present looks convincing to me. Andyg's coin is still lightish according to KM, but in line with the weight given by Album.

Peter

andyg

I think that fixes it - answer as I suspected - a confused Krause :)

Thanks both.