Author Topic: Misaligned dies  (Read 1982 times)

Offline Bimat

• आदित्य
  • Global Moderator
  • Honorary Member
  • Mumbai, India.
Misaligned dies
« on: September 14, 2009, 06:12:39 AM »
A (stupid) doubt: Is it same as Mis-Aligned Dies?

Aditya
It is our choices...that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities. -J. K. Rowling.

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
Misaligned dies
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2009, 11:12:10 AM »
Questions aren't stupid. No. It's not the same. In a modern coin press, the dies should cover the whole flan on both sides, so they would be equally large in diameter and their centers would be perfectly aligned. Normally, at least on of the dies is mounted on a central shaft. If something goes wrong in the press, the shaft may bend and the two die centers will no longer be perfectly aligned. The result is a "new moon" of blank metal on both sides. See illustration.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline Bimat

• आदित्य
  • Global Moderator
  • Honorary Member
  • Mumbai, India.
Misaligned dies
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2009, 03:22:59 PM »
Thanks Peter,that's interesting! :)

Aditya
It is our choices...that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities. -J. K. Rowling.

BC Numismatics

Misaligned dies.
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2009, 09:31:20 PM »
Aditya,
  Both the 2007 steel & 2009 brass 5 Rupees that you sent me earlier this year have misaligned dies.I do collect Indian error coins as well as the 'normal' coins.

Aidan.

Offline asm

• Honorary Member
  • Ahmedabad, India
Re: Misaligned dies
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2009, 02:09:35 PM »
Aidan,
Are they mis-alligned or rotated axis? It is not so frerquent to come across misalligned dies but these days rotated die strikes are quite frequent. If it is indeed mis alligned, I would like you to upload a picture of atleast the Rs 5 Al-Br coin as I am curious to see such an error. I have quite a few error coins including misalligned strikes (what we refer to as shifted blank), but have yet to come across a Rs 5 Al-Br issue. I will check up the Rs 5 & Rs 10 coins that I have for die rotation error after I return back from my current trip.

Amit
"It Is Better To Light A Candle Than To Curse The Darkness"

BC Numismatics

Misaligned dies.
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2009, 02:20:47 PM »
Amit,
  I am still unable to do any photos,as I haven't yet bought a replacement copy of PhotoStudio 5.5 to replace the one I can't find.

Rotated dies on coins are misalignments,as they are not the normal arrangement of the dies in the coining press.

Aidan.

Offline asm

• Honorary Member
  • Ahmedabad, India
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2009, 03:15:15 PM »
Aidan,
I agree that both are errors. However as I said above, one is more common than the other. A layman will be able to pick up a mis alligned strike but die axis rotation is seen only if you are looking out for it. Also for this see http://www.worldofcoins.eu/forum/index.php/topic,3693.0.html
Amit
« Last Edit: September 17, 2009, 03:18:18 PM by asm »

Offline MS

« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2009, 10:18:59 PM »
Aidan,
Are they mis-alligned or rotated axis? It is not so frerquent to come across misalligned dies but these days rotated die strikes are quite frequent. If it is indeed mis alligned, I would like you to upload a picture of atleast the Rs 5 Al-Br coin as I am curious to see such an error. I have quite a few error coins including misalligned strikes (what we refer to as shifted blank), but have yet to come across a Rs 5 Al-Br issue. I will check up the Rs 5 & Rs 10 coins that I have for die rotation error after I return back from my current trip.

Amit

Amit
I had posted picture of a 2007 5 rupee error coin found in circulation here.

MS

Offline asm

• Honorary Member
  • Ahmedabad, India
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2009, 06:23:29 PM »
Nice error coin MS. The coin clearly shows that the blank shifted during the punching process.
Amit