Author Topic: First Acquisition of 2018  (Read 336 times)

Offline Bimat

• आदित्य
  • Global Moderator
  • Honorary Member
  • Mumbai, India.
First Acquisition of 2018
« on: January 19, 2018, 03:30:24 PM »
Here's my first acquisition of 2018: A Finnish €2 commemorative in proof and a Maltese BU set of 2016, containing the €2 commemorative with special mint mark of the French mint. What's yours? :)

(I have taken liberty to use the scans provided by the seller)

Aditya
It is our choices...that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities. -J. K. Rowling.

Online Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
Re: First Acquisition of 2018
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2018, 05:11:51 PM »
Don't remember what the first one was, but here is one of the most spectacular. Dinar 347 AH (958 AD) ino Abd al Malik I, emir of the Samanid empire, Samarqand mint. Compare MWI 687. At the time, Samarqand was the principal city of the Persian emir, as its rival city, Khorasan, was in the hands of the Turkic part of the Samanid army. To put its refined beauty in perspective, its European counterparts were small, simple Carolingian short cross denarii...

For the coins of Samarqand and other Uzbek mints, I live in a numismatic desert. I depend on the goodwill of other WoC members. One of them got me this coin. That makes it even more special.

An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline Bimat

• आदित्य
  • Global Moderator
  • Honorary Member
  • Mumbai, India.
First Acquisition of 2018
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2018, 04:39:00 PM »
Got few more coins today: China, Austria and Portugal. :)

(Not actual scans, just the digital images)

Aditya
It is our choices...that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities. -J. K. Rowling.

Offline Pellinore

• Honorary Member
    • Some numismatic books for sale on our website
Re: First Acquisition of 2018
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2018, 01:24:17 AM »
For New Year, I gave myself a coin that I had coveted for a long time, a Samanid dinar issued in the year 327 AH (= 938/9) in Nishapur in the northeast of Iran. The discount that the seller offered on all of his coins in the last days of 2017 gave me the last push. I was taken by the grace and harmony of its design - many comparable coins are much less elegantly engraved. Do you see the neatly square blocks of text in the centre of both sides?
And this is one of a small number of islamic coins where the engraver signed his die: with the name Abu Harith, you may view the small lettering at the far left of the left picture, 9 o'clock precisely. Luke Treadwell's writings brought me on this curious subject.

AV dinar Samanids. Nasr II b. Ahmad (301-331), Nishapur AH 327 (=938/9). Signed by engraver Abu Harith on obv. on 9 o’clock margin. 22.5 mm, 4.86 gr. AGC I 300pj. Album 1449.

-- Paul