Author Topic: Jahangir: Rupee, Agra, AH 1022 RY 8...Nazrana, Gorgeous Beauty (NOT my coin) !!  (Read 366 times)

Offline mitresh

• Honorary Member
NOT MY COIN

Jahangir, Silver Rupee, Agra, 11.41g, 24.47mm, AH 1022 RY 8

An absolute beauty posted recently on Facebook !! A gorgeous, jaw dropping awesome coin with complete dotted border and die impressions !!

The beautiful artistic die engraving skills has been equally complemented by the worker who hammered this perfect specimen. Mughal calligraphic art at its best !!
In the quest for Excellence, there's no finish line.

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
Looks like a mazarana rupee (before the mazarana rupee was invented?), a presentation piece. Pretty clever, btw, to give beautiful presents with a value of ... one rupee. Not too costly and whoever received it would treasure it.

We know of presentation pieces given to foreigners visiting the court, but I have started to wonder if they weren't used also as military decorations.

Courtier: "your majesty, I present the honourable general Halftrack Muckerjeep (followed by half a dozen honorifics) and subandar Gambit Mullygatawnee. The sergeant behaved heroically before the walls of Holewallbad, making the general's job easier."
Jahangir: Ah, yes, is this the sergeant who peed against the city wall and it fell over? Well done, subandar! Here is a token of my appreciation (flips him a presentation rupee). General, there's a little gift of horses and land waiting for you too.
The soldiers bow and the sergeant mumbles under his breath "I peed on the wall after the city fell". He gets an angry look from the general as they retire with multiple bows.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline mitresh

• Honorary Member
In the quest for Excellence, there's no finish line.

Offline Overlord

• Honorary Member
  • Tamdiu discendum est, quamdiu vivas
    • Collect Old Coins
The way the letters go over the flower stems is simply amazing.