Author Topic: Shah Jahan, Pre-accession Rupee, Surat, KM#221.1  (Read 244 times)

Offline Saikat

• Meritorious Member
    • My facebook page on coins
Shah Jahan, Pre-accession Rupee, Surat, KM#221.1
« on: January 14, 2018, 02:58:41 PM »
This is a rupee of Shah Jahan. However, this coin have a history behind. This coin was minted in Surat between 28 October 1627 (death of Jahangir) and 14 February 1628 (coronation of Shah Jahan).
This coin had been shown here earlier as this beautiful one. However, I think this varity of coin  deserves more discussion.

From Zeno,
The East India Company’s factors at Ahmadabad write on the 31st of January 1628, in the following terms: “What money is coined in this town bears the Stamp of Shawselim [Shah Salim, i.e. Jahangir] by the Prince’s owne order at this being here, till he bee crowned in Dillie so that the quoyning of money in Suratt under his name is affirmed to be done by the Governour there without his order; neither will the passé here without some losse.” (English Factories in India, 1624-1629. ed. W. Foster, 232.)
“This reference to the premature coining of money at Surat is interesting,” says the editor of the Correspondence who does not appear to have known that a specimen of these unauthorized mintages has survived the ‘tooth of time’.

Apparently Shah Jahan did not liked striking coin in his name before his coronation and ordered the mint to stop. Although he did not took the extreme step of melting down the struck coins with penalty of execution as he did for the Jahangir zodiac coins or coins in name of Nur Zahan. But that might be because he was busy in disposing off the other contestants of the Mughal throne (Shahryar, Dawar Bakhsh on 23 January 1628)
So, this is a pre-accession coin of Shah Jahan, an unauthorized product of the Surat mint and disowned by Shah Jahan himself who ordered that all coins should continue to bear the name of his father (Jahangir) up to the day of his formal coronation. Nevertheless, we can see an amalgamation of styles of Jahangir (in the coin background) and Shah Jahan (as the coin is named) here.
Obv: Kalima
Sanah 1
Rev: Sikka-i-Shahjahan Ra'ij Baad
Zarb
Surat
Note: In the overlay I prepared, I am not sure on the bottom divider which I assumed to be "i" for Sikka-i-Shahjahan. I would be very happy if someone corrects me!
Thanks,
Saikat