Author Topic: Italy 2018: 60th anniversary of the Health Ministry  (Read 350 times)

Offline chrisild

• Honorary Member
  • NW · DE · EU
Italy 2018: 60th anniversary of the Health Ministry
« on: December 29, 2017, 06:56:05 PM »
The second commemorative €2 coin that Italy will issue next year is ... somewhat strange. ;) The coin honors the Ministry of Health (Ministero della salute) which was established in 1958, thus 60 years ago.

Now whether "60 years" is a great reason to issue a commem - I don't think so, but we have had other "un-round" jubilees before. Also, if you look at the history of the ministry (Wikipedia in Italian), you will see that 1958 was the year when a new Ministero della sanità was split off the Ministry of the Interior. Later however the Ministry of Health was merged with the Ministry of Labour and Social Policy, then - in 2009 - the two became separate ministries again.

Anyway, this is what the coin will look like. Must admit that I find the design to be more appealing than the occasion. :) Details about the issue volume etc. to follow at some later stage ...

Christian

Offline Pabitra

• Honorary Member
Re: Italy 2018: 60th anniversary of the Health Ministry
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2017, 07:16:12 AM »

Now whether "60 years" is a great reason to issue a commem - I don't think so, but we have had other "un-round" jubilees before.

60 years or Diamond Jubilee is common.
USSR and many other nations issued coins 60 years of end of Great War in 2005.
China and many other nations ( like Thailand etc. ) routinely commem years which are multiple of 12 year cycle of their zodiac calendar.

Offline chrisild

• Honorary Member
  • NW · DE · EU
Re: Italy 2018: 60th anniversary of the Health Ministry
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2017, 03:25:28 PM »
Ah, OK then. Please note that I did not "complain" about the 70th constitution anniversary coin. ;)  In this case, it was the combination of the 60 years and the theme of the coin that I found a little strange.

Christian