login

Author Topic: Indo-Greek Demetrios I Tetradrachm - Counterfeit?  (Read 238 times)

Offline gsrctr

Indo-Greek Demetrios I Tetradrachm - Counterfeit?
« on: January 09, 2018, 04:42:32 PM »
I have a Demetrios tetradrachm, with elephant headdress, that I bought from an auction house that I trust in (and have an authenticity guarantee). The coin looks authentic, but the weight appears to be different. The usual weight is about 17 grams, while this one is 15.1 grams. I don't see a cast seam.

Appreciate any opinion. Thanks.

Offline THCoins

• Honorary Member
Re: Indo-Greek Demetrios I Tetradrachm - Counterfeit?
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2018, 06:07:22 PM »
Always difficult to judge a coin by the photo. But would i buy it based on the photo: no.
The surface appears a bit porous. There is a strange discepancy between some sharply struck elements, and some which seem worn away. Also, i see no trace of flowlines as witnesses of a struck coin. Lastly, the characters in the legend are very uneven. So sorry, i may only add to your doubts.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2018, 07:23:57 PM by THCoins »

Offline gsrctr

« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2018, 10:49:48 AM »
Thank you for your feedback. The coin looks beautiful in hand, but the points you make, plus the weight discrepancy, suggest that this may be a counterfeit. Not sure how to prove that to the auction house. I will probably send it to a TPG and if they say its a fake, I can use that for a return.

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2018, 11:05:06 AM »
Just for balance: yes, porous surface. Don't like it much, it is mostly in the highest spots. Did you do a ping test? Nevertheless, it could have been cleaning corrosion away, leaving pinholes. Weak spot left of Hercules' feet: check die rotation. If the spot is such that the other side is placed correctly, it may be an expertly removed welded jewellery clamp. Flow lines: they will only occur on older dies, as they are the result of metal flowing from centre to edge repeatedly as a result of striking. Weight: suspect, but not entirely impossible. You'd expect heavier coins to be taken out of circulation for treasure.

I am not familiar enough with such coins for a final verdict. Frustratingly, you can prove a coin is a fake, but you can't prove it is genuine.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline gsrctr

« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2018, 05:09:28 AM »
Thank you, Peter. I did not know about the ping test. The coin sounds like it is made of silver to my untrained ear.

Just shipped it off to a TPG. Will update the thread once I hear back from them.

Offline gsrctr

« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2018, 10:45:37 PM »
Finally got the results back from NGC - No Decision :(.

Appreciate any suggestions on where else I can verify whether it is genuine or fake.

Offline BACTRIANUMIS

• bactrianumis.com
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2018, 05:11:42 PM »
Unfortunately, there is nothing to verify - it's a known fake, most likely cast.

Offline gsrctr

« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2018, 06:09:27 PM »
Thank you very much. Been looking for exactly this evidence. Hopefully I can return the coin.