Author Topic: Barbarians, Persians .... what is it like?  (Read 292 times)

Offline Black Cat

Barbarians, Persians .... what is it like?
« on: February 05, 2018, 11:12:20 PM »
Hello,
Found in the field between scattered Roman coins, I can not identify what this coin is. Please help determine which coin. Has a diameter of 20mm. Material is silver.[/img]

Offline Finn235

Re: Barbarians, Persians .... what is it like?
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2018, 06:48:40 PM »
Never seen anything like it. Can you post the Roman coins as well for context? That might give us some clues on where to start, at least.

Offline Black Cat

« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2018, 09:40:34 PM »
Along with this coin, 30 Roman coins were found. All denarius, except one Siliqua, Constantius II.
Denarius: Antoninus Pius, Commodus, Faustina I, Lucilla, Marcus Aurelius... Not all are identified yet.

Offline capnbirdseye

• Vic
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2018, 11:01:19 PM »
Strange indeed, does the broken part look as though it once had an attachment of some kind ?

also is it silver as it has the look of Billon
Vic

Offline Black Cat

« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2018, 10:04:50 PM »
yes, I also drew attention to the broken place. At first, too, thought that it was a medallion, but looked at the broken place carefully and came to the conclusion that the fixture was made later than the main subject.
I'll explain why I think so, maybe a false idea.
1. The attachment point deviates from the imaginary vertical of the main subject.
2. A broken place around has a cover from another material, it is visible on the photo, as if something soldered separately.
3. The shape of the break more suggests that part of the main object is torn out as if the external object was firmly fixed on both sides (as if the pliers were ripped off).
Also, it was noted that, as a rule, medallions are damaged on the main surfaces (probably in the process of use rubs to the clothes). At the same time, more attrition on the ribs, the obverse and the reverse is practically not damaged.

Maybe I'm wrong, but I tend to think that this jewelry is from a coin.

I can take a picture of a broken place in macro mode if it is interesting.