Author Topic: Ahmed Shah Abdali - Shahjahanbad mint.. 1173AH/Ry 14. A very rare copper coin  (Read 232 times)

Offline abhinumis

• Honorary Member
Hi all,
Posting a very rare coin on the eve of new year..
Ahmed Shah Abdali (Durrani) AE falus/dam (13.65 gm), Shahjahanbad mint. (117)3AH/ Ry 14
Obverse - Falus Dur-i-Durrani 1173AH
Reverse - Zarb Shahjahanabad Ry14
The coin represents the Afghan occupation of Delhi before the 3rd battle of Panipat. The 3rd Battle of Panipat is probably one of the most turning points of history fought between Afghan Ahmed Shah and the Marathas under SadashivraoBhau.
The period of the above coin was minted between 29th January 1760 to 3rd August 1760 before Marathas occupied it before the 3rd battle
Do comment
Dr.Abhishek

Offline Coinsforever

• Honorary Member
I'm just curious how it can be related to Mughal coinage .
Coin indeed is nice and was minted during turbulence of war .

Cheers  ;D
Every experience, good or bad, is a priceless collector's item.

http://knowledge-numismatics.blogspot.in/

Offline abhinumis

• Honorary Member
The mughal history is incomplete without the invasion of Nadir shah and Ahmed shah Durrani. The mint on the coin was the capital of the mughal empire. The 3rd battle of Panipat almost reduced the mughal emperor as a titular head just like the 1st battle introduced mughal reign in India.
So I thought posting here is apt. Numismatically the ruler is a non-mughal ruler and hence I have posted in Afghanistan thread as well.
Dr.Abhishek

Offline asm

• Honorary Member
  • Ahmedabad, India
I'm just curious how it can be related to Mughal coinage .
Coin indeed is nice and was minted during turbulence of war .
Though not Mughal in the strict sense of the word, the Mughal History of Delhi would be incomplete without this. If we go by the strict sense or terms of the word Mughal, over 50% of the coins posted here would need to me moved.......

Amit
"It Is Better To Light A Candle Than To Curse The Darkness"

Offline Coinsforever

• Honorary Member
Though not Mughal in the strict sense of the word, the Mughal History of Delhi would be incomplete without this. If we go by the strict sense or terms of the word Mughal, over 50% of the coins posted here would need to me moved.......

Amit
Ok got it thanks amitji quite an interesting historical events .

The mughal history is incomplete without the invasion of Nadir shah and Ahmed shah Durrani. The mint on the coin was the capital of the mughal empire. The 3rd battle of Panipat almost reduced the mughal emperor as a titular head just like the 1st battle introduced mughal reign in India.
So I thought posting here is apt. Numismatically the ruler is a non-mughal ruler and hence I have posted in Afghanistan thread as well.

My point was not about why posted here in this Mughal section , but for understanding about these durrani coins of shahjahanabad

Abhishek your reply is clear enough and self explanatory.
Thanks to both of you , learned New on New year day.

Cheers  ;D
Every experience, good or bad, is a priceless collector's item.

http://knowledge-numismatics.blogspot.in/

Offline abhinumis

• Honorary Member
Ajay ji, you must read the masterly article of Shailen Bhandare on the coinage and historical context around the battle of panipat
Dr.Abhishek

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
Where can that article be found?

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline asm

• Honorary Member
  • Ahmedabad, India
Where can that article be found?
Peter

JONS is the place to look for, Peter.
"It Is Better To Light A Candle Than To Curse The Darkness"