Author Topic: 2018 Native American Dollar Reverse  (Read 363 times)

Offline kena

• UK-Yank

Offline Kopper Ken

Re: 2018 Native American Dollar Reverse
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2017, 02:20:42 AM »
That is a nice design.  I buy a roll of each issued circulating coin and look forward to purchasing the Thorpe issue.  Sure glad they didn't make it a silver "dollar" issue and charged $45 for a dollar coin.  That's why I appreciate circulating coins and not the coins that are described as coins but are really NCLT.  They would really be medals without the denomination on them.

KK

Offline chrisild

• Honorary Member
  • NW DE EU
Re: 2018 Native American Dollar Reverse
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2017, 11:53:06 AM »
Not sure what I should think about this. :)  On one hand, Jim Thorpe is worthy being commemorated, in my opinion, mostly because he was a "multi" athlete who performed well in several sports. (And the whole story about accusing him of having been a pro and yet participating in the Olympics - quite hypocritical.) So yes, why not ... Design wise, I like the piece.

Then again, this Native American series has so far been about historical events or somewhat more abstract themes, not about single individuals. The Jim Thorpe coin will be different from all previous issues in that regard. Also, when I first heard about this planned issue, I looked him up and noticed that, while Thorpe grew up according to Native American traditions, he was quarter-indigenous so to say. Now if the US Mint plans to continue the series, this opens up many new theme opportunities. ;)

Christian