Author Topic: Dutch Baby Set (2003) with German Euro Coins  (Read 453 times)

Offline Bimat

• आदित्य
  • Global Moderator
  • Honorary Member
  • Mumbai, India.
Dutch Baby Set (2003) with German Euro Coins
« on: December 15, 2017, 03:33:48 PM »
Received this Dutch baby set yesterday which contains a very nice medal (primary reason for buying it). However it does not contain Dutch euro coins but German ones, dated 2003. Why so? I did not realize this while buying it, as the medal alone caught my eyes! :)

Aditya
It is our choices...that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities. -J. K. Rowling.

Offline chrisild

• Honorary Member
  • NW DE EU
Re: Dutch Baby Set (2003) with German Euro Coins
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2017, 06:37:23 PM »
This may be a dumb question but ... why do you think it is a Dutch set? The coins are German pieces, and the medal is in German too. The idea, by the way, is that you take the medal to a jeweler or some other engraver, and have the name, birth date, may height and weight added to make this an individual piece.

"Strampelnd vor Ungeduld bin ich heute auf die Welt gekommen" means something like "Kicking impatiently, I was born (lit. came into the world) today" - hence the kicking feet. :) I cannot recognize the mint mark; may well be that the medal was made in Utrecht, NL of course ...

Christian

Offline Bimat

• आदित्य
  • Global Moderator
  • Honorary Member
  • Mumbai, India.
Dutch Baby Set (2003) with German Euro Coins
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2017, 07:15:30 AM »
This may be a dumb question but ... why do you think it is a Dutch set? 

In fact, a very good question. ;)

The set was sold to me as a 'Dutch Baby Set' and the back side of the packaging (not shown here) shows KNM's logo and name...So did the Dutch mint strike only the medal, and put the German coins in it? ???

Aditya
It is our choices...that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities. -J. K. Rowling.

Offline chrisild

• Honorary Member
  • NW DE EU
Re: Dutch Baby Set (2003) with German Euro Coins
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2017, 04:29:26 PM »
Not sure how this works. :)  Since you mentioned the KNM logo, I had a quick look - and the mint in Utrecht does make birth sets with that medal, in Dutch and with Dutch coins: https://www.knm.nl/geschenksets/nl/page/2287/ So maybe they sell the medal to third parties who can then add their own coins?

Christian