Author Topic: Luxembourg 2018: Constitution  (Read 1061 times)

Offline chrisild

• Honorary Member
  • NW · DE · EU
Luxembourg 2018: Constitution
« on: December 19, 2017, 12:26:02 PM »
In January 2018, Luxembourg will issue a commemorative €2 coin dedicated to the 150th anniversary of the 1868 constitution. Next to Henri's portrait you see the text "1868-2018" "150 years" "Constitution of the Grand Duchy of Luxembourg" (in French), with an open book - symbolizing the constitution - above the last line.

Luxembourg's current constitution is from October 1868 (with later amendments); here is a brief overview in English. Interestingly, the country is about to replace it with a new one; see the latest draft in French. So I guess this is the last chance of issuing a coin that refers to the 1868 constitution as the current one. ;) Mintage will be 500,000 as far as I know.

Christian

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
Re: Luxembourg 2018: Constitution
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2017, 01:30:48 PM »
New constitutions of established democracies have become rare. The beginning of the new constitution is clearly inspired by the universal declaration of human rights. Nevertheless, I haven't found any references to non-traditional marriage. This becomes important for coin collectors in view of draft article 56.1:

Art. 56. (1) The office of Head of State is hereditary in the direct descendants of His Royal Highness Adolphe, Grand Duke of Luxembourg, Duke of Nassau, by order of primogeniture and representation*. Only children born of a marriage have the right to succeed.

* In the following order of precedence: the earlier shall precede the later lines; within the same line, the closer degree shall precede the more distant; within the same degree, the male shall precede the female; and for the same sex, the older shall precede the younger ...

If this translation and interpretation is correct, younger sons Trump older daughters and adoption is not a way out for a childless grand duke or a grand duke with different sexual preferences. How 1868...

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline chrisild

• Honorary Member
  • NW · DE · EU
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2017, 12:02:32 PM »
That new constitution is still "on its way". From what I have read, there will be a referendum about it, in 2019 maybe. And maybe a few things will change by that time. Then again, two years ago the Luxembourgers decided, for example, whether people as from 16 (instead of 18) should be allowed to vote, and whether "non-citizens" - more than 40 percent of the residents do not have the Luxembourgish nationality - can vote at the national (Chambre des Députés) level. The answer to both questions was an obvious No, and that influenced the draft constitution.

Now back to the coin ;) the idea of an open book above the country name I like. But the rectangle around the word "Luxembourg" looks a little strange to me. Maybe it is supposed to be some kind of table? Anyway, that I would have left out ...

Christian

Offline chrisild

• Honorary Member
  • NW · DE · EU
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2017, 11:11:49 AM »
The first images of "the real thing" are there - and apparently that coin comes with a new logo so to say. In addition to the Utrecht (KNM) mintmark on the ring, there is a lion on the pill. That "lion rampant" is part of the country's coat of arms. (The Dutch lion looks a little different.) So I suppose we will see that Luxembourg lion on more coins in the future ...

Christian

Offline eurocoin

• Indexer
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2017, 10:53:08 AM »
The Luxembourg mark will be on the 2018 circulating coins too. It is a very strange decision. Obviously nobody at Central Bank of Luxembourg was available yet to comment on this.

Offline Bimat

• आदित्य
  • Global Moderator
  • Honorary Member
  • Mumbai, India.
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2017, 12:21:51 PM »
The Luxembourg mark will be on the 2018 circulating coins too. It is a very strange decision. Obviously nobody at Central Bank of Luxembourg was available yet to comment on this.

The regular 2018 dated coins of Luxembourg are already out...So wish list for 2018 has started expanding even before 2018 started. ::) ;D

Aditya
It is our choices...that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities. -J. K. Rowling.

Offline eurocoin

• Indexer
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2018, 03:01:25 PM »
Central Bank of Luxembourg got back to me and mentioned something like "due to the inclusion of the date 2018 and some other changes this was an opportunity to add the Luxembourg lion as a mintmark too, it is an important mark to authenticate the Luxembourg coins".

Offline Bimat

• आदित्य
  • Global Moderator
  • Honorary Member
  • Mumbai, India.
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2018, 03:19:31 PM »
Central Bank of Luxembourg got back to me and mentioned something like "due to the inclusion of the date 2018 and some other changes this was an opportunity to add the Luxembourg lion as a mintmark too, it is an important mark to authenticate the Luxembourg coins".

So the collector coins will also have it?

Aditya
It is our choices...that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities. -J. K. Rowling.

Offline chrisild

• Honorary Member
  • NW · DE · EU
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2018, 12:15:52 AM »

And I thought the primary mark was the Grand Duke being on each and every coin from Luxembourg ... ;)

Christian

Offline Bimat

• आदित्य
  • Global Moderator
  • Honorary Member
  • Mumbai, India.
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2018, 04:33:55 PM »
Mintage for Luxembourg coins (regular) dated 2018 will be same as 2017: 50,000 for each denomination. ::)

BCL is currently selling 5 sets (40 coins) for €50 'only'.

Aditya

Offline Angus

« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2018, 04:04:56 PM »
The coin card with the €2 commemorative coin for 2018 has the bridge and caduceus, and I think the BU set of ordinary coins will too.  So two versions of each coin this year!

Offline eurocoin

• Indexer
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2018, 04:13:11 PM »
The following combinations will be used on the standard circulating coins and commemorative coins of Luxembourg:

UNC: Lion and mercury staff
BU: Bridge and mercury staff
Proof: Lion and bridge

Offline Angus

« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2018, 04:33:55 PM »
One way to keep the completist collectors collecting...

Offline Bimat

• आदित्य
  • Global Moderator
  • Honorary Member
  • Mumbai, India.
« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2018, 04:41:21 PM »
The following combinations will be used on the standard circulating coins and commemorative coins of Luxembourg:

UNC: Lion and mercury staff
BU: Bridge and mercury staff
Proof: Lion and bridge

This is bad. Ridiculous. While the unc and BU coins are in affordable range, there is not way you can get the proof coin unless you buy the annual proof set which costs nearly €100. ::)

Aditya

Offline Angus

« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2018, 04:56:59 PM »
BCL are showing the wrong coin in the BU set on their own website!

http://www.bcl.lu/fr/media_actualites/communiques/2018/01/coincard/index.html