login

Author Topic: Ionia, Erythrai: Anonymous (550-500 BCE) EL Hekte (SNG Kayhan 7378)  (Read 160 times)

Offline Quant.Geek

• Honorary Member
Ionia, Erythrai: Anonymous (550-500 BCE) EL Hekte (SNG Kayhan 7378; SNG von Aulock 1942; Boston MFA 18067)

Obv: Head of Herakles left, wearing lion skin
Rev: Quadripartite incuse square; two quarters partially filled-in

A continuation of my collection of Herakles coinage...

A high-resolution image of this coin is available at FORVM Ancient Coins

A gallery of my coins can been seen at FORVM Ancient Coins

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
Re: Ionia, Erythrai: Anonymous (550-500 BCE) EL Hekte (SNG Kayhan 7378)
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2017, 11:13:08 AM »
Would that be Erythrae in Asia minor or Erythres in Boeotia?

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline THCoins

• Honorary Member
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2017, 11:21:09 AM »
Missed this one when it was posted a week ago. Lovely portrait with lion cap on a quite spectacular specimen !
Seems to show nicely that this one was coldstruck with a globular flan. The strike cracked the flan in several areas but luckily the gold alloy was soft enough to hold the coin together.

Offline Quant.Geek

• Honorary Member
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2017, 02:07:26 PM »
The coin is from Erythrae in Asia minor.  Thanks for the complement.  It was one of two Ionian coins I had been meaning to get that has Hercules on it.  Still on the hunt for the other one...

Ram

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2017, 09:54:18 PM »
I was hoping for that answer. Maybe I am over-interpreting, but even if I am this is fun.

The coastal cities in Asia minor were vital for Athens as ports of collection and shipment of grain. Grain also fed soldiers and horses. Athens' rival for the grain was Egypt, with Rhodes being the Egyptian middleman. As long as Athens controlled the Propontis, it remained strong enough to dominate classical Greece. The colonists chafed under Athenian rule. No doubt, a part of the grain had to be used to pay tax to Athens, while grain going to Egypt could remain hidden from tax collectors, especially if they were corrupt. Also, the colonists would have tended to come from everywhere, banned citizens, outlaws, pirates, retired soldiers, barbaroi. They would owe no allegiance to Athens. The history of Erythrea reflects this. The city is constantly trying to get away from Athenian control.

My speculation is that this coin subtly shows the city's unhappiness with Athens. Hercules is not an innocent choice of a male, strong demi-god, it is an answer to a female, skillful goddess. Those squares were used by small, independent cities, until a bigger city came along. Best of all, there's that naughty smile on Hercules' face. I think the message of this coin is "we'll win in the end, Athens".

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline Quant.Geek

• Honorary Member
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2017, 01:17:10 PM »
 :applause: