News:

Sign up for the monthly zoom events by sending a PM with your email address to Hitesh

Main Menu

Potosi, Bolivia, silver "marriage" medal, 1835, Santa Cruz/Francisca Cernadas

Started by redwine, December 11, 2017, 05:19:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

redwine

Potosi, Bolivia, 1/2 sol-sized silver "marriage" medal, 1835, Santa Cruz and Francisca Cernadas
References are from here  Fonrobert-9508; Burnett-13. 17mm; 1.64 grams.
LOS EMPLEADOS DE (PO)TOSI ANO DE.1835. / (heart inside wreath)
ALAS VIRTUDES DELA SRA. FCA. CERNADAS. / (cupid and dog under wreath)

Medal aligned
1.74g
16.5mm
I like the E within D's. 8)

Different to above. ???
It's apparent there is something not quite right here. 
Where did the PO go?  Was it mounted?
Did someone remove something?
Filled die?
What do you think?  Many thanks. ;D
Always willing to trade.  See my profile for areas of interest.

Figleaf

Andrés de Santa Cruz was a president of Peru (1829-1839). In 1829, he married María Francisca de Paula Cernadas y de la Cámara from Cuzco in Arequipa. The year 1835 saw political developments, with Peru in civil war and Santa Cruz, as the Bolivian president supporting the weak president Orbegoso against insurgent Peruvian rebels Gamarra and Salaverry. Santa Cruz ended up as president of the Peruvian-Bolivian Confederation (1836-1839).

The weight of this medal is virtually the same as the contemporary half real, so it may have been used as money, to advertise the virtues of the presidential couple or to raise money, but it is not a wedding medal. Peru has retained the tradition of semi-private coins and it has rich silver mines. In any case, it is likely struck in quantity, so there would be several dies used.

I think your medal was used as jewellery.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

redwine

Always willing to trade.  See my profile for areas of interest.