Author Topic: Italy 20 centesimi 1910 odd plating or dip error  (Read 435 times)

Offline CameronK

Italy 20 centesimi 1910 odd plating or dip error
« on: December 10, 2017, 05:10:08 PM »
Has anyone seen this kind of either error or treatment? It looks like someone tried to plate this with another metal, or dip it in some substance, and it was peeled back a bit.

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
Re: Italy 20 centesimi 1910 odd plating or dip error
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2017, 06:04:48 PM »
It looks like the upper layer of part of the coin flaked and was pushed to the right. If so, this is an error that is not so usual on Italian coins, but pretty common on e.g. Belgian coins. It s caused by metals not being properly mixed. Interestingly, though KM says the coin is pure nickel, so either it's something else or KM is wrong. If I were betting, I'd say KM is wrong.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline CameronK

« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2017, 06:17:20 PM »
Re: Nickel/ Copper, that is what's throwing me off. I have other examples, including a 1910, and they're all nickel colored.

Offline Henk

« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2017, 08:10:41 PM »
It can easily be tested if the coin is nickel or copper-nickel as pure nickel is attracted by a magnet. Copper-nickel is not and neither is copper. I think KM is right (this time) as in the book: Nickel Coins, issued by the International Nickel Co. of Canada (1930) this coin is described as being made of 99% pure nickel (page 67).

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2017, 09:12:54 PM »
No, that means KM is wrong, because 99% is not 100%. Magnetism is not binary. Alloys can be in a range including strongly, weakly or non-magnetic, so I am not surprised that 99% Ni is magnetic.

It is not necessary that the coin is copper-nickel. The missing 1% is enough to explain the flaking, especially if the sheet metal, planchet or coin was treated to produce an uneven distribution of the 1%. I can easily imagine that the missing 1% was added to make the metal less hard (cheaper to work with), but the struck coins were treated to drive the nickel to the surface to make them harder (more wear resistant) again.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline Henk

« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2017, 11:09:36 PM »
I take it that 99% means technically pure nickel with less than 1% impurities. The 1948 - 2001 Dutch nickel coins also have a specification of 99% nickel. As 100% is not an achievable purity, certainly not for metal used in coinage, your reasoning would mean that no nickel coins exist!

My guess is that the coin was copper plated, at least partly, or completely with plating that partly came off. Another, less likely, possibility is that it was minted on a wrong, copper or bronze planchet and was partly nickel plated!

If my first assumption is correct the coin would be magnetic.

The specifications of the coin are: Weight 4.00 grams and diameter 21.5 mm

If a copper-nickel coin were put in acid, the nickel dissolves from the surface and the colour becomes coppery. Also the surface becomes rough which does not seem to be the case for your coin, which anyway should not be copper-nickel.

Offline FosseWay

• Honorary Member
  • Göteborg, Sverige
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2017, 08:08:34 AM »
KM doesn't tend to give percentages for non-precious metals, so it probably doesn't say "100% nickel" but rather just "nickel". I'm not in a position to check right now though.

Agree with the others that "pure" nickel is magnetic (e.g. pre-1990 South African silver, pre-euro French silver etc.).

Offline CameronK

« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2017, 04:27:46 AM »
I appreciate everyone's input. I weighed it versus my 'standard' 1910 20 c. piece, and it's .3 grams heavier (4.0 - 4.3). Plus it is strongly magnetic. So it appears to be some kind of plating error then, but as to the reason, I'm uncertain!