Author Topic: Opinion - Touched Up Italian Bronze Coin  (Read 531 times)

Offline CameronK

Opinion - Touched Up Italian Bronze Coin
« on: December 09, 2017, 03:25:11 PM »
Good morning. This was my Saturday morning project. I found this low grade Italy 10 Centesimi 1936 piece in a dig bin. I collect by date, so I didn't have this date! As you can see, it had a pretty ugly patina on it.

I thought I'd ask opinions about my technique of getting rid of the green corrosion to try to 'stabilize' this coin. I first soaked the entire coin in white vinegar for 5-10 minutes, then dabbed it off with a cotton swab. That cleared the reverse, but the obverse was still stained. So I spot treated the obverse (and edge) with white vinegar for 2-3 minutes at a time, dabbing it off each time. It cleared the corrosion, but left it darkly stained and there's some pitting. I've given it a touch up with olive oil to try to give the coin some kind of consistent color.

It will go into my collection until I find a better version of the same year!
« Last Edit: December 09, 2017, 04:38:04 PM by CameronK »

Offline capnbirdseye

• Vic
  • Honorary Member
Re: Opinion - Touched Up Italian Copper Coin
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2017, 03:51:08 PM »
If the surface has pitting then it will never look good, is it a rare or scarce date?

I don't collect Italian coins but I do have one of these dated 1924 in uncirculated condition
Vic

Offline CameronK

Re: Opinion - Touched Up Italian Copper Coin
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2017, 04:30:47 PM »
That's a beautiful example. Mine is neither rare nor valuable. But I didn't have one, so I wanted it to look better.

Online Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
Re: Opinion - Touched Up Italian Bronze Coin
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2017, 06:30:17 PM »
No amount of cleaning will add metal. Metal that reacts to form corrosion and is then wiped off is gone. This is what causes the pitting.

In principle, you should not use acids on copper coin. This is what causes the discolouration. It could have been worse. Some acids will colour a bronze coin pink. Search for "soda" on this board and you'll get plenty of hints on cleaning bronzes with a baking soda and cleaning soda solution.

Give the coin a chance to regain a natural colour. Depending on the air quality in the place where you live that can take a few months or up to two years. The better the air, the longer it takes. It'll never be unc, but it's not as bad as it looked when you bought it.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline CameronK

« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2017, 03:22:52 PM »
Thank you for advice!

Offline redwine

• liaison officer
  • Honorary Member
  • Too old to care.
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2017, 06:32:52 PM »
Good job there CameronK!  ;D
Always willing to trade.  See my profile for areas of interest.