Author Topic: Another interesting Achaemenid siglos  (Read 56 times)

Offline Matteo

Another interesting Achaemenid siglos
« on: December 04, 2017, 03:36:25 PM »
Hello :)

After this thread (http://www.worldofcoins.eu/forum/index.php/topic,40977.0.html), I start another thread about a Persian siglos.
This coin is interesting for its particular reverse. It seems similar to Croesus' silver coins reverse, with two incuse squares. But it is also possible that this siglos has only one punch, and not two different punches like Croesus' coinage.

What do you think about it?

Thanks,
Matteo.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2017, 08:11:10 PM by Matteo »

Offline Matteo

Re: Another interesting Achaemenid siglos
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2017, 06:44:01 PM »
Any ideas?

When I'll receive the coin I'll try to clean a little bit the reverse to have a better view of the incuse squares.

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2017, 07:42:54 PM »
This is again far from my expertise, but I appreciate the challenge.

The "bar", separating the two squares is bent and of uneven thickness. Yet, the engraver had no problem creating an even finer straight line on the other side, representing a spear (?) Based on that evidence, I think it is more likely that the two squares were created separately, rater than with a single punch.

For the sake of comparison, there are quite a few ancient Greek coins with four squares or triangles on the reverse. The squares are usually perfectly aligned and of a very similar size.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline Matteo

« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2017, 10:58:58 PM »
Thanks to accept my challenges :)

I agree with you. It is possible there are two punches and not only one. But it is necessary to have the coin in hand to be certain of this (after have cleaned it).

Incuse squares aren't always of the same size: usually one is bigger that the other. Tomorrow I'll search some examples to compare with my coin.