Bahawalpur Paisa AH 1327 KM-7.1 variation or fake ?

Started by MORGENSTERNN, December 04, 2017, 11:41:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MORGENSTERNN

Hello,

I got here two Bahawalpur Paisa AH 1327 KM-7.1 that seems very different to me (metal - shape - calligraphy)
The first (on left) is similar to the Krause plate specimen and weight 2.82 grams
The second (on right) is similar to the Zeno picture 15100 and weight 2.91 grams
Link to Zeno coin https://www.zeno.ru/showphoto.php?photo=15100

So what is your opinion are they variations or is there a fake ?

Figleaf

I would take them for the same type. I don't think the size difference is very meaningful, especially since the weights are very close. Dies were cut by hand and types would remain in production and circulation for a long time - dates would not necessarily reflect the year in which the coins were struck.

There is no sign on Indian coins of measures against clipping. That can only mean that weight wasn't such an important issue as in Europe. While the Moguls maintained pretty strict standards for their own coins, lesser rulers went by necessity, especially the need to pay their soldiers.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

capnbirdseye

There are lots of variations for this type,  the larger of the two appears to have a laminated flan of thin folded copper and that's something forgers would not try to replicate on a fairly common coin.
Vic