Author Topic: Allen & Co., South Shields  (Read 311 times)

Offline malj1

• Honorary Member
  • "illegitimi non carborundum"
    • Mals Machine Tokens
Allen & Co., South Shields
« on: December 04, 2017, 06:54:17 AM »
Allen & Co., South Shields 6d consimilar Cu-ni 21mm

The Shields museum has Allen's tokens in various values – 1d, 3d, 6d, 1s, 2s, 5s and 10s

The company had its origins in 1853, with a Sunderland draper, Robert Newlands, whose business, originally, was in Green Street.

In 1881, it was taken over by a Charles Pearson who, in 1896, sold it to Thomas Allen.

He, in turn, went into partnership with a chap called Johnson in 1911, at the same time as acquiring premises at 84-94 Laygate and 2-6 John Williamson Street.

Allen died in 1924, leaving Johnson in sole control. The store in John Williamson Street was rebuilt in 1934 and, round about the same time, further premises were added at Laygate and in Princes Street.

In 1937, Allen's also opened a branch at 157-159 Prince Edward Road, to serve the by-then substantial community at Cleadon Park.

One of Allen's oddest acquisitions, however, had to be the old Tivoli Theatre at Laygate, bits of which it absorbed over time until, by the late 1940s, the old playhouse and cinema had become a whole department devoted to furniture and carpet showrooms.

Interestingly, also after the war, Allen's committed itself to a new store on the site of Crofton's, on the corner of King Street and the Market Place, which had been destroyed during an air raid in 1941, but by the early 1950s, it seems it had pulled out of the scheme.

Subsequently, over time, the whole Allen's concern gradually contracted, until only the Laygate store remained, becoming Hedley Young's in the early 1970s.

Source
Malcolm
Have a look at  my tokens and my banknotes.

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
Re: Allen & Co., South Shields
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2017, 09:27:18 AM »
I get the feeling that this particular story fits into a greater one. The generic story seems to be something like: in the second half of the 19th century and especially in the last two decades of that century, successful shops of generic household goods and furniture started expanding into department stores. They became so complex to administer, that it often became necessary to involve a partner or a younger generation of the family.

The department stores flourished and became commercial hubs of the area they were located in. The largest expanded outside their original area. By the 1930s, the market for department stores was fully developed. A rapid decline set in after 1945, leading to closures, takeovers and mergers up to 1970. Around 2017, even the largest department store chains started having trouble. To be continued.

My hypothesis is that the growth of the department store was due to the development of a middle class in late Victorian times. The decline was due to the rapid spread of the automobile, once a luxury item, as a necessity of life. Private cars made it much easier for customers to shop in adjacent areas and carry their shopping home, so that department stores had to grow or die. We may well be in the next phase, where the internet is the successor to the department stores.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline malj1

• Honorary Member
    • Mals Machine Tokens
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2017, 10:55:53 PM »
A similar thing happened here I think the growth of the supermarkets and large shopping centres has contributed to this and now the online shopping is causing new problems with sales and customers being lost once more.

A large bronze penny noticed on eBay 33.2mm
Malcolm

Offline malj1

• Honorary Member
    • Mals Machine Tokens
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2018, 04:38:54 AM »
I now have the 1d as above along with the d and 1/- [shilling]
Malcolm

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2018, 11:03:47 AM »
So maybe, one day, this will be a new section of WoT?

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline malj1

• Honorary Member
    • Mals Machine Tokens
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2018, 11:19:19 AM »
Soon...ish!
Malcolm