Author Topic: Austria 2018 hgh (SU) and baby sets  (Read 116 times)

Offline chrisild

• Honorary Member
  • NW DE EU
Austria 2018 hgh (SU) and baby sets
« on: December 03, 2017, 12:48:50 PM »
In a few days the Austrian Mint will start issuing next year's coin sets. The hgh (handgehoben/special uncirculated) set includes the 2018 commemorative 2 coin (see this topic). There will, as usual, also be a "Baby Set" with the regular coins. Both can be had as from Wednesday 6 December; total mintage 50,000 ...

Christian

Offline Bimat

• आदित्य
  • Global Moderator
  • Honorary Member
  • Mumbai, India.
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2017, 01:11:14 PM »
To issue two kinds of BU set, one containing the commemorative 2 and other containing the regular 2, is not very collector friendly, I must say. ::) Why can't they just follow Ireland for example, and put all the coins together in one set? Such multiple sets put extra burden on collectors' pockets...Finland is another example, the Finnish mint issues half a dozen BU sets every year! >:(

Aditya
Caution. The low-hanging fruits are still there maybe for a reason.

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
Re: Austria 2018 hgh (SU) and baby sets
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2017, 01:43:12 PM »
Collectors? You mean clients. Clients' interests are very important to all business. They come immediately after the interests of (in order of importance) directors, tax inspectors, lawyers, owners (including the state), staff and trade unions, pressure groups and NGOs, the media and anybody standing outside and having a loud voice. :(

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline chrisild

• Honorary Member
  • NW DE EU
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2017, 03:25:22 PM »
Well ... actually ... I may have been (gasp) wrong. The Baby Set seems to include the 2 commem. Not sure, as Austria issues those extra pieces only from time to time, not every year and certainly not two per year.

But even if the baby set had the eight coins only, why would that not be OK? A collector who wants all the coins (minus collector coins) can simply buy the BU/hgh set. People like me can get the 2 piece without the set, and those who want the baby set for a new born child can buy it as a memento. And those who really "have" to buy every officially issued set will buy every officially set, no matter whether there are eight or nine pieces in the folder. ;)

Christian

Offline onecenter

« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2017, 05:47:03 PM »
Collectors? You mean clients. Clients' interests are very important to all business. They come immediately after the interests of (in order of importance) directors, tax inspectors, lawyers, owners (including the state), staff and trade unions, pressure groups and NGOs, the media and anybody standing outside and having a loud voice. :(

Peter
This is a wonderful quotation.
Mark

Offline Bimat

• आदित्य
  • Global Moderator
  • Honorary Member
  • Mumbai, India.
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2017, 03:42:05 PM »
Well ... actually ... I may have been (gasp) wrong. The Baby Set seems to include the 2 commem. Not sure, as Austria issues those extra pieces only from time to time, not every year and certainly not two per year.

No, the BU set does not contain the regular 2, only the commemorative. And Baby set contains the regular 2, but not the commemorative.

Aditya

Offline Bimat

• आदित्य
  • Global Moderator
  • Honorary Member
  • Mumbai, India.
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2017, 06:26:09 AM »
No, the BU set does not contain the regular 2, only the commemorative. And Baby set contains the regular 2, but not the commemorative.

My bad, both the BU set contain only the 2 commemorative, no regular 2...

Aditya

Offline Bimat

• आदित्य
  • Global Moderator
  • Honorary Member
  • Mumbai, India.
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2017, 05:07:53 PM »
Just checked the Austrian mint's website and the price tags are...28.80 for the BU set and 37.20 for the baby set (both prices inclusive of 20% VAT). Mind blown! :o

Mintage of BU set is 50,000. No information about baby set.

Aditya

Offline chrisild

• Honorary Member
  • NW DE EU
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2017, 12:17:51 AM »
As far as I know, the mintage figure applies to both sets (combined). At least that was my understanding - but I have been wrong (8 vs 9 coins) before, so ... ;)

Christian