Author Topic: Mauritania: New Family of Coins in 2018  (Read 1079 times)

Offline Bimat

• आदित्य
  • Global Moderator
  • Honorary Member
  • Mumbai, India.
Mauritania: New Family of Coins in 2018
« on: December 02, 2017, 04:15:09 PM »
On January 1, 2018, Central Bank of Mauritania will issue a new series of coins, reflecting the planned currency reform (1 New Ouguiya = 10 Old Ouguiya). More information about new series of banknotes is here.

Source (Not in English!)

Aditya
You don't need a parachute to skydive. You need a parachute to skydive twice.

Offline Jostein

• WBCN
Re: Mauritania: New Family of Coins in 2018
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2017, 11:50:04 PM »
Including coins of:

1/5 Ouguiya = 2 old ouguiya
1 Ouguiya = 10 old ouguiya
5 Ouguiya = 50 old ouguiya
10 Ouguiya = 100 old ouguiya
20 Ouguiya = 200 old ouguiya

10 MRO > 1 MRU

10 MRU coin 10 sides bimetallic and 20 MRU a trimetallic coin.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2017, 12:13:06 AM by Jostein »
"Change is the law of life. And those who look only to the past or present are certain to miss the future" - John F. Kennedy

http://www.worldbcnews.com

Offline malawi

« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2017, 09:31:59 AM »
Thanks  Jostein

OMG !!! beautiful coins and banknote set !!!!!

https://youtu.be/gDyTpUdAjaY

Offline Pabitra

• Honorary Member
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2017, 10:56:44 AM »
The new coins do not indicate anywhere that these are "New Ougiya" currency.
I feel it is wrong as it will lead to confusion.

Offline Jostein

• WBCN
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2017, 11:20:29 AM »

I agree, surely there will be rogues trying to take advantage of people with fewer resources.

In any case, as malawi said, they are really beautiful designs with shaped, bimetallic shaped and trimetallic coin...I'm well impressed. Thanks for these Mauritania :)

Jostein
"Change is the law of life. And those who look only to the past or present are certain to miss the future" - John F. Kennedy

Offline <k>

• Honorary Member
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2017, 11:21:35 AM »

Don't feel - THINK! Don't panic: you won't be confused. (I'm not sure why you moved to Mauritania anyway). Just apply this simple test: does the design have a picture on it? If "yes", it's new. If not, it's old. Simple!  ;)
« Last Edit: May 06, 2018, 12:18:18 PM by <k> »

Offline Jostein

• WBCN
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2017, 11:26:22 AM »
Just apply this simple test: does the design have a picture on it? If "yes", it's new. If not, it's old. Simple!  ;)

Hahaha that could be an option to recognize the MRU, by the same way, all the new notes are printed in polymer. The problem could come with people of, for example, remote villages, some rogues can say "Nah, they just changed the coins but the value is the same" after all, is "only" a zero less. But I know that this has not relation with the design of the coins...

Offline <k>

• Honorary Member
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2017, 11:41:28 AM »
The problem could come with people of, for example, remote villages, some rogues can say "Nah, they just changed the coins but the value is the same" after all, is "only" a zero less.

Yes, I see what you mean, but even poor countries have efficient means of distributing information. But who would have the power to mint a lot of counterfeit coins in that country anyway?

Offline Pabitra

• Honorary Member
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2017, 12:19:34 PM »
I'm not sure why you moved to Mauritania anyway.

Why not?
It is a beautiful country which had beautiful coins and they promised ( and kept it too..) more beautiful coins. What more could a numismatist ask for 😝?

Come, join me and get beautiful coins in plenty😄

Offline Bimat

• आदित्य
  • Global Moderator
  • Honorary Member
  • Mumbai, India.
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2017, 03:59:38 PM »
I believe that French mint is striking these coins, like the current series (French mint has issued trimetallic coins for France and Monaco before). So Mauritania becomes the third country to have circulating trimetallic coins. Who would have thunk that!

Aditya

Offline Jostein

• WBCN
« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2018, 08:29:40 PM »
Some features of the new coin series:

- 20 Ouguiya coin: 26 mm / 7.63 g / round plain edge
- 10 Ouguiya coin: 24 mm / 5.38 g / decagonal reeded edge
- 5 Ouguiya coin: 22.5 mm / 4.71 g / hepptagonal plain edge
- 1 Ouguiya coin: 20 mm / 4.00 g / round reeded edge
- 1/5 Ouguiya coin: 16 mm / 2.1 g / round plain edge

http://www.essirage.net/node/13290

I can't wait to have these coins   ;D

Happy new year my friends :)

Offline eurocoin

• Honorary Member
« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2018, 08:48:01 PM »
Monnaie de Paris (where these coins were minted) must have some very good sales people that they were able to convince Mauritania to go for expensive bimetallic and trimetallic coins. The highest denomination coin, the 20 New Ouguiya is worth less than 50 euro cents/50p. It does not make any sense at all.

Offline Bimat

• आदित्य
  • Global Moderator
  • Honorary Member
  • Mumbai, India.
« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2018, 03:37:52 PM »
Mauritanians start new year with new currency in circulation

Daniel Mumbere

The new ouguiya, the Mauritanian currency, which loses a zero compared to the old, came into circulation on Monday, forcing many banks to exceptionally open to customers on January 1, according to AFP.

From this 1st of January 2018, ten ouguiyas become an ouguiya. This measure, announced on the national holiday on November 28 by President Mohamed Ould Abdel Aziz, will, is meant to help the ‘‘ouguiya to resume its place in financial transactions, to protect the purchasing power of the citizen and reduce the amount of money in circulation. “

The old banknotes and coins will be withdrawn according to a schedule established by the Central Bank of Mauritania (BCM), starting with the largest ones, such as the 5,000 (11.76 euros) banknote by 31 January, the 2,000 and 1,000 respectively one and two months later, the smallest by June.

“We are there until noon (local time and GMT) at the request of the government, we are at the service of our customers after a long weekend,” a teller of the BCI (Mauritanian bank for trade international) where small queues of users were formed told AFP.

The banking institutions have changed their software, checkbooks, and reconfigured their ATMs to bring them into compliance with the new ouguiya.

In the streets, the people already served were examining the new polymer banknotes, turning and flipping them around, contemplating their bright colors and testing their vaunted solidity by the Central Bank.

The removal of old banknotes and coins aims to protect the national currency “against forgery and replace it with stronger, safer, more durable and more innovative series,” says the BCM in multiple press releases.

In early December, the BCM’s governor, Abdel Aziz Ould Dahi, denied rumors of “devaluation” of the ouguiya, assuring that it “would retain its value and the purchasing power of the citizens would not suffer” .

Even before the announcement of the release of the new notes, the ouguiya lost in recent months its value on the black market against the euro and the dollar, but the trend has worsened since, due to an increase in the demand for foreign currency.

In 2004, Mauritania replaced all banknotes in circulation since 1974.

*AFP*

Source: Africa News

Offline Harald

• Monetary History & Numismatic Linguistics
« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2018, 12:49:13 PM »
On the 5 and 10 new Ouguiya (arab. "ūqiyă") the plural form of denomination is spelled "auwāq". This is rather curious as it is the plural of another word "auq", while correct plural would simply be "ūqiyāt", like on the previous coins.
Both words are derived from weight Units, the "ūqiyă" is usually translated as ounce, the "auq" is heavier, the oke.

I have not found out yet if this is a mistake or if there is a deeper meaning behind using a different plural form.

cheers
--
Harald
http://www.liganda.ch (monetary history & numismatic linguistics)