Author Topic: Tibetan Coins. O.D. Cresswell  (Read 374 times)

Offline capnbirdseye

• Vic
  • Honorary Member
Tibetan Coins. O.D. Cresswell
« on: December 13, 2017, 08:44:23 PM »

An interesting little 70 page booklet that I spotted recently, A short history of Tibet followed by a detailed list of all the coins together with numerous  diagrams,  plates showing different symbols such as different umbrellas, varieties of Banner, wheel. Lotus, Conch shell etc.etc.
Coins are depicted in hand drawn style rather than actual photo's, often this is better than the poor photo's older coin books usually have
Vic

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
Re: Tibetan Coins. O.D. Cresswell
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2017, 10:56:47 PM »
In my years of innocence, I corresponded with the author. We were both members of a US-based coin club for collectors of non-US coin. Numismatics International issued his booklet on Tibetan coins. Mr. Cresswell (I never dared use his first name) got me a great collection of privately counterstamped Irish coins, culled from circulation in Ulster, where he lived.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline capnbirdseye

• Vic
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2017, 10:25:40 AM »
That's interesting Peter,  seems he was quite diverse in his coin collecting and the book is very detailed with the legends translated & written out in Tibetan script
Vic

Offline Globetrotter

• Honorary Member
  • As my whimsy takes me....
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2017, 11:54:39 AM »
I found this searching for his book

Cresswell, Oliver D.: Tibetan Coins. Numismatics International, Dallas, 1977. 42 Seiten und 25 Schwarz-Weiß-Tafeln

Dies ist die erste Veröffentlichung zur Numismatik Tibets, die im Westen in Buchform erschienen ist. Sie stellte zum Zeitpunkt des Erscheinens eine nützliche Einführung in die in Tibet geprägten Münzen dar. Allerdings finden die sino-tibetischen Ausgaben keine Berücksichtigung. Die Münzen sind nur anhand von ungenauen Zeichnungen abgebildet. Wegen seiner Fehler und Lücken und in Anbetracht inzwischen erschienener besserer Studien zu diesem Thema hat dieses Büchlein heutzutage kaum noch praktischen, wohl aber noch historischen Wert.

Cresswell, Oliver D .: Tibetan Coins. Numismatics International, Dallas, 1977. 42 pages and 25 black and white images
This is the first Tibet Numismatics publication in book form in the West. It provided a useful introduction to the coins minted in Tibet at the time of publication. However, the Sino-Tibetan editions are ignored. The coins are only illustrated by inaccurate drawings. Because of his mistakes and omissions, and in the light of better studies on this subject that have appeared in the meantime, this booklet has little practical value these days, but is still of historical value.

Anyway, the book is nowhere to be bought!

Ole
Ole

If you're interested in coin variants please find some English documentation here:
https://sites.google.com/site/coinvarietiescollection/home
and in French on Michel's site (the presentations are not the same):
http://monnaiesetvarietes.esy.es/

Offline Henk

« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2017, 02:20:23 PM »
The Cresswell book is still listed for sale at the NI website: http://numis.org/resources/publications/