login

Author Topic: Manuel Fernandez Seal stamp  (Read 46 times)

Offline Henk

Manuel Fernandez Seal stamp
« on: November 24, 2017, 10:51:24 AM »
I have a seal stamp, 22,5 mm Brass (image mirrored, actual stamp is incuse) with the following inscription:

MANUEL FERNANDEZ. / (bearded bust facing right). the handle is missing. In the D of FERNANDEZ there is some red residue, probably seal wax.

I do not think it refers to a person but to a business. But what business? and when and where was this used. Your thoughts or information please!

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
Re: Manuel Fernandez Seal stamp
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2017, 01:04:19 AM »
The problem is that both Manuel and Fernandez are extremely common names, so Google is no good. The only little piece of information is the toga. It looks like it is fastened with a fibula, therefore meant to be Roman. Since names like Fernandez are modern, the head is not Roman, unless it is not the head of Manuel Fernandez but a logo. It looks too natural (a logo would not have a receding hairline, I would say) and detailed (the face is quite characteristic and lifelike; it reminds me of king William II of the Netherlands) to be a mere logo, though. That leaves as the best possibility that the head is neo-classical (around 1800). That's as far as I get.

Afterthought: could it have been used on liquor bottling and labelling machines? That would explain why it has no handle: it would be mounted in the machine...

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.