News:

Sign up for the monthly zoom events by sending a PM with your email address to Hitesh

Main Menu

North African seal / papermark?

Started by redwine, January 26, 2016, 09:50:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

redwine

8.1 x 30.85 x 31.85mm
La Semeuse [The Sower], the star and the cog are incuse but very shallow.
The star and cog appear the same in mirror image whereas the sower is then the correct way around.  A clue there perhaps?
66g
Similar material to the Benedictine piece, whatever that is?

I'm not sure if I've posted this before?
Any ideas what it is?
Many thanks ;D
Always willing to trade.  See my profile for areas of interest.

malj1

Maybe for another wine bottle seal? the star and the cog would then appear in relief with the lady [The Sower] correctly shown.

...is the lady related to a certain brand of wine?
Malcolm
Have a look at  my tokens and my banknotes.

Figleaf

The lady is a design by Oscar Roty for the French state. The design was used on French coins and stamps until 1999. The star is probably a reference to Morocco, dating the object before the second world war. The cogwheel is likely a symbol for industry, so wine-making would be odd. I think it was used for some official financial business (including stamp duties and taxes) regarding industry.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

redwine

Yes, I think you're right Peter.  Something official.
Many many hours of searching French protectorates in North Africa has yielded zip!  :'(

saro

Quote from: Figleaf on January 26, 2016, 11:26:04 PM
The lady is a design by Oscar Roty for the French state. The design was used on French coins and stamps until 1999. The star is probably a reference to Morocco, dating the object before the second world war. The cogwheel is likely a symbol for industry, so wine-making would be odd. I think it was used for some official financial business (including stamp duties and taxes) regarding industry.
I fully agree with Peter; I think that this die could have been used by french industry administration to put wax seals (patent deposits may be?) to legalize documents, in the time of the Morocco protectorate; the Roty sower was present on silver coins between 1898 & 1920 which dates your item.
"All I know is that I know nothing" (Socrates)

lolo75002

Bonjour,
"C'est la pucelle du 523e Régiment du Train actuellement le 121 Régiment Du Train basé à Montlhéry (voir pièce jointe)
Mais normalement elle sème vers la gauche, peut-être que la photo est inversée?"
Please find here-attached a photo.
Best regards,
Laurent

This is the Maiden of the 523rd Supply Regiment, currently the 121 Supply Regiment based in Montlhéry (see attachment)
But normally she sows to the left, maybe the picture is reversed?

malj1

The impression of the sower would in fact be reversed when the seal is used.
Malcolm

Figleaf

Even the number of cogs is the same. That solves it very nicely, Laurent. Thank you.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

malj1

Except for the rising sun in the background and the text?  ???
Malcolm

redwine

Many thanks Laurent  ;D
I think the text and sun on the fob are necessary decoration whereas the stamp needs to be much simpler.  I could see those rays being smudged and make an official document a bit of a mess.