Author Topic: Menzel  (Read 464 times)

Offline FosseWay

• Honorary Member
  • Göteborg, Sverige
Menzel
« on: November 19, 2017, 12:37:28 PM »
Very pleased to have finally got my hands on the 2005 edition (2 volumes) of Menzel. It wasn't cheap but I did get a similarly sized catalogue from Dirk Strothotte thrown in for free.  :)

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
Re: Menzel
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2017, 01:41:18 PM »
Maybe you could do a short review? An ISBN would be useful also...

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline FosseWay

• Honorary Member
  • Göteborg, Sverige
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2017, 01:59:55 PM »
I presumed this work was already well known, but yes sure...

Full details: Deutschsprachige Notmünzen und Geldersatzmarken im In- und Ausland 1840 bis 2002 (2 volumes), by Peter Menzel. 2nd updated edition, 2005. Published by Münzhandel + Verlag Beate Strothotte, Gütersloh.

The catalogue covers all tokens known to the author which were struck for or used in German-speaking areas. This therefore covers a wide area, including not only the current territories of the Federal Republic of Germany, Austria and German-speaking Switzerland, but also parts of other countries that were in Germany or had German populations at some point since 1840, plus Germany's overseas colonies. "Token" covers essentially anything with a numerical denomination or other evidence that it was used in exchanged for a given good or service. Generic Wertmarken, which have a denomination but nothing else, are not covered.

I've been using the catalogue for a whole two hours so far, but my first impression is that it is comprehensive and relatively easy to navigate through. A lack of illustrations is a problem, as it is for Smith and so many other works, but the legends are reproduced accurately.

The tokens are also given values in euros.

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2017, 07:38:01 PM »
Thank you. In the bibliography. Google books only has the 1997 edition, so we are now upper to dater.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.