login

Author Topic: Union S.S. Co. Ltd Southampton  (Read 140 times)

Offline malj1

• Honorary Member
  • "illegitimi non carborundum"
    • Mals Machine Tokens
Union S.S. Co. Ltd Southampton
« on: November 14, 2017, 09:49:56 AM »
Union S.S. Comp. Limited Southampton rev. 3d Cu-ni 19.4mm
Malcolm
Have a look at  my tokens and my banknotes.

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
Re: Union S.S. Co. Ltd Southampton
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2017, 09:26:25 PM »
The name and home port combination set a date frame of 1853-1857. Before 1853, the company was known as Southampton Steam Shipping Company, after 1857, it was called Union Line. Source

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline malj1

• Honorary Member
    • Mals Machine Tokens
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2017, 10:10:59 PM »
I had read that paragraph but I found it ambiguous and read it as after 1857 when it became the Union line? ??? Certainly before 1900. Otherwise it had three names in four years? ???

"The Union Line was founded in 1853 as the Southampton Steam Shipping Company to transport coal from South Wales to Southampton. It was renamed the Union Steam Collier Company and then the Union Steamship Company. In 1857, renamed the Union Line..."

but I find it very unclear and I read it as after 1857?

Malcolm

Offline malj1

• Honorary Member
    • Mals Machine Tokens
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2017, 10:12:17 PM »
BTW There was a 2d (nickel 16mm) on a DNW listing recently.
Malcolm

Offline malj1

• Honorary Member
    • Mals Machine Tokens
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2017, 10:21:26 PM »
This page puts the date to after 1857 and before 1899

Formed in 1853 as a steam collier company named the Southampton Steam Shipping Co to bring coal from South Wales to Southampton for the large liner companies. In the same year it became the Union Steam Collier Co, but in 1854 all their five ships were taken over as transports for the Crimean War. Returned to their owners in 1856, they remained idle due to the large stocks of coal accumulated at Southampton. The company made unsuccessful ventures into the UK - South America and Birkenhead - Hamburg routes, but in 1857 they were awarded the mail contract between the UK and South Africa. In 1876 a joint mail contract with the Castle Line was awarded by the Colonial Government with the proviso that the two companies did not amalgamate. This contract expired in 1899, and after much political manoeuvering, the two companies merged to become the Union-Castle Mail SS Co and received the new mail contract.

Graces Guide has it this way:

Union Steamship Co

of Southampton, for many years the only Mail Service to the Cape of Good Hope and South Africa.

c.1880 At some point the name of Union Steam Collier Co was changed to Union Steamship Co

1886 Several ships had their engines converted from compound to triple expansion type, including RMS Spartan and RMS Athenian of the Ocean Mail Service, and SS Anglian and SS African of the Intercolonial Service.

1899 The South African contract expired; after much political manoeuvering, the Castle Line and the Union Steamship Co merged as the Union-Castle Mail Steamship Co and received the new mail contract.

NB This is not the same as Union Steamship Company of New Zealand
Malcolm

Offline malj1

• Honorary Member
    • Mals Machine Tokens
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2017, 06:52:01 AM »
I spotted a link to Hern 612c - a catalogue which I don't have, (on an eBay listing where another 3d is for sale at US$250  :o

So I then checked Theron and voila it is listed there and said to be for use exclusively in Cape Town!

OCR scan from Theron:

C11. Union Steamship Co. Ltd.

Mail contracts between England and Cape Town were held first by the General Screw Steam Shipping Company (1851-1854), and then by W.S. Lindsay's Line (1856-1857).
The "Union Line" was formed in 1853 and on 12 September 1857 was awarded a five year contract to carry mails between England and the Cape. The contract time was 42 days with calls at St. Helena and Ascension Islands.

Sir Donald Currie entered the South African trade in January 1872. (Diamonds were discovered in S.A. in 1867). His company which was at first known as Donald Currie's Colonial Line changed its name to Castle Packets Company Limited in 1881.

Until 1873 the Union Line held the monopoly of the mails.

The two companies were granted equal shares in the contract in 1876, which they held until they amalgamated in 1900 to form the Union-Castle Line.

The Union Line therefore had the contract alone from 12th September 1857 to 1873, and after that a half share until the amalgamation in 1900. The tokens must therefore have been used before 1900, and probably even before 1873.

Known tokens of this set are 1/-, 6d, 3d and 2d. They are very rare, with the 2d perhaps easier to find. Although the tokens are inscribed with the word "Southampton" they are according to Mr. Day in the S.A.N. Journal No. 3. "thought to have been used exclusively in Cape Town".

Dimensions Diameter  Thickness
  1/-             23,4 mm    1.4 mm
  6d             21,2 mm    1,7 mm
  3d             19.1 mm    1.5 mm
  2d             16.2 mm    1,2 mm
Malcolm