Author Topic: Dutch or British Pagoda?  (Read 251 times)

Offline gsrctr

Dutch or British Pagoda?
« on: November 14, 2017, 12:41:00 AM »
Recently I bought two almost identical porto novo style pagodas (single swami on the obverse, with a granulated reverse - see pictures below). They look a little different from the Dutch pagodas with lazy J - thought they might be some early version. I sent one each to NGC and PCGS. PCGS identified the first one as by Dutch (1747 - 84). NGC graded the second one as by British Madras Presidency (1740 - 07), though I specifically marked the coin as by Dutch. Any opinions/thoughts on what the origin might be?

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
Re: Dutch or British Pagoda?
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2017, 06:31:29 PM »
I think both are EIC. The VOC variety seems to have finer points on the reverse.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline Oesho

• Honorary Member
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2017, 01:04:07 AM »
I may differ with Figleaf, but IMHO these are still Dutch issues. This type (new Negapatnamse) pagoda of the 'Porto Novo'- pagoda type was produced from 1747 onward, with a fineness of 0.800. In 1767 the fineness was reduced to 0.769. After Negapatnam was occupied by the British in 1781, the British continued to produce the same pagoda for a short while with a further reduced fineness of 0.675-0.625 and known as the Iskat or Scott pagoda. By the VOC this type was from 1760 also produced at Tuticorin and at Colombo (1781-1786).

Offline gsrctr

« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2017, 01:51:18 AM »
Thank you Oesho and Peter, for your replies.

Oesho, that was very informational. How do I determine the fineness of the coin, without damaging it?
I recently acquired one more Porto Novo pagoda, but this one is a little distinct. Appreciate if you can throw some light on this variety.

Offline Oesho

• Honorary Member
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2017, 10:59:56 PM »
It looks to be a Porto-Novo Pagode, which was struck by the VOC after 1747 at Negapatnam.
There are couple of non-destructive posibilities to verify the fineness of the gold.
The oldest method is the one by the use of the Archimedes watertest to calculate the specific weight. It requires very accurate measurements.
A more modern proces is testing it by XRF.
A less destructive method, mostly practised by jewellers and goldsmiths, is the use of a touchstone. However this may provide a small damage at the edge.