login

Author Topic: Charing Cross collectors' market  (Read 78 times)

Offline FosseWay

• Honorary Member
  • Göteborg, Sverige
Charing Cross collectors' market
« on: November 13, 2017, 04:56:16 PM »
I may be in London on Saturday 23 December. Does anyone know (a) whether the market in the concrete bunker next to Embankment tube is still going in general, and (b) whether it is likely to run two days before Christmas?

The website given on e.g. numista for the market appears not to work any more.

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
Re: Charing Cross collectors' market
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2017, 05:12:50 PM »
I don't think there's a good answer to the question, unless it'll be closed. Given the time of the year, some regular dealers won't show up, but nobody knows how many. Even the weather that morning or the day before may play a role.

I would suggest you change your approach. Think of it as visiting the shops of Philip Cohen and Colin Narbeth, both in walking distance, with a possible side trip to Charing Cross. Personally, I bought more from from Cohen than from all the dealers in Charing Cross together...

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline terryzman

« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2017, 05:51:38 PM »
Fosseway,

I will be in London the next 2 saturdays and I will be at the Charing Cross market at least one of those.  I talk to some of the sellers to get their thoughts on the level of attendance on such a day.  As Peter says, the two stores on Cecil Ct.  are a worthwhile visit.  I also recommend visiting the Baldwin's offices on the Strand for their selection of books.  I generally also visit CoinCraft near the British Museum but rarely purchase much due to their prices.  Diligent searching there can yield interesting finds though. 
Regards,
- Terry

Offline FosseWay

• Honorary Member
  • Göteborg, Sverige
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2017, 08:09:16 AM »
Thank you for the suggestions for alternatives  :)

I take it that the market is still going, though? I take the points about the weather, Christmas etc. - it was more that I wasn't finding many signs of life at all in the past 6 months or so and the publicised homepage is evidently not working.

Offline terryzman

« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2017, 05:35:25 PM »
Yes.  I believe the market is going strong.  This URL is working for me: http://www.charingcrossmarket.com.  Is it the one you tried?  In any case, I will post a first hand report here within the next few weeks.  Best, Terry. 

Offline FosseWay

• Honorary Member
  • Göteborg, Sverige
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2017, 06:25:32 PM »
Yes.  I believe the market is going strong.  This URL is working for me: http://www.charingcrossmarket.com.  Is it the one you tried?  In any case, I will post a first hand report here within the next few weeks.  Best, Terry.

Cheers.

The ways of the internet are sometimes unfathomable. When I did a search yesterday, before asking the question at the top of this thread, I got mainly hits for http://charingxcollectorsfair.moonfruit.com/, which no longer seems to exist. The link you posted didn't feature, at least not in the first dozen or so results. Now it does, all over the place. Odd, but nice to know it's still going strong!